The Unhappy hill :/

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby A_S » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Grania wrote:TI hope everyone was alright, but unfortunately for me I made a comment at the time which obviously came out wrong (so tired at the time I can hardly remember) which led to a huge argument between me and my parents :? It keeps happening, and I think the fact that I'm very easily frustrated at the moment really isn't helping :(

I do that all the time, too. And the parents react in much that way. I think it's universal. :lol:
Hang in there! Anything coming up that you can look forward to?
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Yeah, I certainly hope I'm not the only one!

Got another couple of re-enactment weekends coming up :) trouble is we're then off on holiday, and I'm terrified we're going to really drive each other around the bend with only each other for company for several weeks, with no escape :?
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:11 pm

(((((((((((((((G))))))))))))))))))

With apologies to Moya for paraphrasing her badly.... The advantage of being family is that you can speak your mind, then it's forgotten - and I couldn't agree more.

Try not to worry, these things often happen in the heat of the moment. Let the "dust settle", maybe have a few early nights so that you're less tired, and I think you'll be OK. Things might be a bit fraught for a while, but it'll calm down in time.

I wouldn't start worrying about your holiday, try to look forward to it - it sounds as if it might be needed all round.... :wink:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:42 pm

(((((((((((((Dave))))))))))))))) Thanks :D

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Susann » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:38 am

I'm so sad about these many dead and injured people at the Love Parade in Duisburg. They just wanted to have fun. Whole Germany is in a state of shock. :cry: :cry: :cry:
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Susann » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:13 am

I'm angry now. I have just watched the one-hour press conference about the disaster at the Love Parade. The responsible persons said almost nothing. They answered most of the questions with "Ongoing investigations". Even the presenter mentioned that he has never seen such a press conference.
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby kevinkells » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:23 am

We lost a young lady in this tragedy.
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Argh!

Postby cantilena91 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Just discovered that one cannot always get everything, namely, I was so much looking forward to the concert of Altan at the annual Oulu Irish Music Festival this year. But, as my own performance at the Celtic-themed evening mass is during the same Sunday evening in October, this means that I cannot see Altan at all because I am performing myself elsewhere!! :x Luckily I got a refund from my ticket...

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:01 pm

That's a shame Suvi :( It's always frustrating when something gets in the way like that.

I've JUST returned from France, and summoned the courage to check my e-mails. Apologies to anyone I told I would be checking e-mails regularly..because of all this fuss over my final year work placement I just couldn't do it, for fear of ruining the holiday.

I had applied for a placement at a place called Cowdray Park, about an hour from my uni. Having had positive e-mails and even a phone call from them I was chuffed to bits to get the warmest possible reception when I went to visit them before going away - as it happened my re-enactment society did an event there that weekend, so that was good. I knew however that my tutor was likely to argue because of the distance, but the lady at Cowdray was so lovely and it was all going so well I just thought 'deal with that later'.

So, I get back, thinking my tutor MUST have had something to say by now...and yes, she did, to the effect that she's on leave at the moment but 'you know so and so has already offered this and that...we'll have to reach a compromise'.....It's not even what I expected - I either expected positive, or a 'no, too far'...but I just don't know how to respond to this. Pretty sure it's going to be a fight though. I've e-mailed Cowdray again to check they still want me...I get the feeling if they do they'll support me.

Please keep fingers crossed for me!

Right.....let battle commence.....

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Fingers firmly crossed for you, G! :wink:

That said, I wouldn't give up hope just yet. From what you've posted, they haven't said "no", by any means, and I'd take that as a positive step. I can see that it's probably the word "compromise" that has made you feel like this, but I'm sure that if you go with a positive attitude (in other words, try to convince yourself that it will happen, and not the other way around!!!) and work with both the Uni and Cowdray Park, you'll be able to sort something to suit everybody concerned.

Good luck! :D
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:41 pm

I hope you're right Dave :) As a family we've decided that whether we have to be diplomatic, sneaky or anything else, if Cowdray want me and make me an offer (which it certainly looked like they were going to) I'm not giving in no matter what my tutor says!

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Grania » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Wow, it's nice that no one has posted in here for so long! I'm sorry to be the one to start it up again, but I need a grumble...

Why oh why does this country have to grind to a hault every time we get a bit of snow? I woke up to maybe 4 inches or so this morning when there was nothing there last night, thicker than I've seen for a while true but still. I'm cross because I got up particularly early this morning to get myself ready for a debate in this morning's lecture that is part of our assessment, the mark going to towards the degree. I've been worrying about it for weeks, just got myself prepared - cancelled, uni closed because of the snow.
As if that wasn't enough, I then get e-mails to tell me that the re-enactment event I was going to this weekend, and which all mine and my mum's spare time has been spent sewing for for weeks, is also cancelled because of the snow. Having used it to calm myself down (from worrying about the debate) all week this was even worse.

All this, and yet in most other places I'm sure, and I'm sure those of you in those places will agree, a few inches/10 centimetres or so of snow isn't going to cause total havoc is it? :roll:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Luned » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Grania, I know what you mean, it's the same here. And we were warned about winter coming as early as mid-October, but all in all, "as it happens every year, winter has caught Polish drivers by surprise" as they say here. It was -15 degrees Celsius yesterday evening. And this week Moya is touring Poland, which means four concerts in four cities in churches without any heating :(

And I know you probably wanted to have that debate behind you already, but this way you'll still have some more time to prepare yourself for that and I hope that this re-enactment event will eventually take place, even if at some other time.
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:30 pm

I know it's frustrating, G. We've actually been quite lucky over here considering we're up in the hills. We've only had about half an inch of lying snow, and fingers crossed, it will stay that way! :wink:

Having said that - you're probably much safer at home. I've been stuck in my wheelchair for the last week, because it's too icy to be on my crutches, and it's the only way I can manage in work. I can't even get from the front door to my car without help at the moment! :roll:

It's a shame the re-enactment has been called off, but I'm sure there will be plenty more when it's a bit warmer. If I had the option, I'd be happier staying in the warm and dry - it certainly beats trudging out to work at the moment!!!! :mrgreen:
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Grania,I can only agree with you regarding the weather. Dublin is one of the parts of Ireland that has seen a lot of snow in the last few days,but going by some people it seems to be the only place in the world to have the white stuff.Many want to leave work early and get stuck in traffic for hours,weather update meetings every few hours which are a waste of time because we all can check the forecast etc,etc.
My advice to people who think that the current situation is bad,spend a few months on the Continent during the winter months.England,Ireland,Wales and Scotland will look like paradise compared to countries where they get many inches of snow nearly every day during these months,people there just deal with it :wink:
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space