The Unhappy hill :/

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Niamh » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:21 pm

I'm sure you will find your there A_S, just like you did in Yale.

I'm a little disappointed today. Last week I got a call that I had won a prize. They told me I had won three nights in a hotel, for two persons. They said the hotels we would be able to choose from would be at least 3 star hotels but sometimes even 4 or 5!
You can imagine how great I felt after I hearing I had won such a prize! I told my boyfriend and he reacted really enthusiastic. However... today I received the prize and it turned out not to be such a great prize at all. We can indeed spend three nights for free in one of the hotels, but if we choose to do so, we need to eat in the same hotel and this isn't included in the prize. We will have to pay for it. So I had a brief look on what that would cost: 38 to 60 euros per person per day. :shock: That's not gonna happen!
Well, I will get over it I guess XD
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Turlough » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:54 am

I hear your letdown and disappointment, Niamh, but prizes you win without any effort ventured are like that. This will be a promotion for that hotel, but as Robert Heinlein once said, "TANSTAAFL", "There Ain't No Such Thing Aa A Free Lunch"!
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:56 pm

Awww Niamh, that is really disappointing. That kind of call can be like that though - to be honest, I always hang up the moment I hear 'you've won..' or anything similar, just to save the bother.
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Niamh » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Fortunately I can laugh about it now, haha. I'm usually not interested in lotteries and stuff like that at all. This time I did because in march I think, there were a couple of weeks in which there was some kind of sale in one of the warehouses over here and after buying something, you would receive a code. You could enter the code at the website and then they'd pick some lucky persons. I had actually completely forgotten that I had entered my code XD
But hey, I do have the ticket now and I know a lot of people who travel much for their jobs, so maybe one of them can do something with the ticket :).
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:47 pm

Found out today that my job will no longer exist, and the building where I work will close from next April! :cry: :cry: :cry:

To be honest, I've been expecting it for a while, but somehow that doesn't make it much easier. That said, at least I've got plenty of time to plan what I'm going to do, so it could have been worse..... I've just got to decide now whether to apply for redeployment or look elsewhere.

Wish me luck!
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby kevinkells » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:29 am

I really hope things work out for you Dave, I think I know what it's like...you feel as though your in Limbo... seeing it coming as you said, probably cushioned the affect a bit.

All the best!
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:23 pm

Thanks, kevinkells.

Now that the initial shock has worn off, it's a bit easier. I think it might be a good idea to take the advice from your signature. Taking one day at a time seems a good plan at the moment! :wink:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Aw dave I'm sorry to hear that. But don't worry, I have every faith things will work out for you.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Grania » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:02 pm

Awww Dave, I'm really sorry! Maybe this is an opportunity to find yourself something better? I know you can :D

If it's any help, I kind of know how you feel, not with a job, but home, for the same reason. ((((((((((((((((Dave))))))))))))))))))

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Grania » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Me again. Ah well.

I had a long-awaited e-mail from my tutor at university last night, the next stage in the organisation of my work placement as my final year project.

Quite aside from the fact that she indicated we hadn't bothered to read a previous e-mail (which, for the record, we can find no evidence she ever sent) the e-mail informed me that the placement I've been planning for can't (well, isn't) going ahead.
So now I've got to find something else. I'd been to meet a guy at the museums service in Winchester, and I think my tutor is assuming that I'll go there, but the fact of the matter is I REALLY don't want to. No exact reason I can give unfortunately, just a general feeling of 'not-good' about the place.
We were told at the beginning of last term that when selecting our placement we were to choose something we could be enthusiastic enough about to live with it for a year.....great, I thought, this is better than I expected. But it also has to fit in with my tutor's standards, and she has to approve it - as she also has to visit it, she has to agree on the distance.
So here's me trying to think of something/somewhere that's going to suit me AND be within a 3-metre radius of Winchester...
Having been looking forward to this as the saving grace of this course since long before I started uni, I really don't know what to do any more, because somehow they've managed to mess this up as well :x

Sorry about the rant yet again :oops: Promise I'll stop doing this one day.

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Turlough » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Grania wrote:Me again. Ah well.
So here's me trying to think of something/somewhere that's going to suit me AND be within a 3-metre radius of Winchester...

Are the city limits marked that precisely? Or do you mean 3-kilometre radius?
At the end Grania wrote:Sorry about the rant yet again :oops: Promise I'll stop doing this one day.

One day, but our Pirate Drama Queen would be missed! :lol:

Good luck with this G, I hope it ends better than it looks to be.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Luned » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Grania wrote:Quite aside from the fact that she indicated we hadn't bothered to read a previous e-mail (which, for the record, we can find no evidence she ever sent)

Now, that's tricky... :roll:

Oh, Grania, why don't you just suggest Grace O'Malley's castle?! well, yes, the one in Ireland... not within a 3-metre radius from Winchester? well... exciting was the main criterion, wasn't it....

(((((((((Grania))))))))) good to see you back around! :)
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:10 pm

Well, I did think of doing a Mayo guide for Granuaile, but I need to be employed by an organisation to do it - and I don't want to risk turning something I enjoy into a living hell by bringing it into contact with Winchester university.

As for the city limits Turlough....maybe I'm going a bit far :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Niamh » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:18 pm

(((((((((Grania))))))))) I hope you will find something that suits you and uni. Try to stay positive! This is something you looked forward too and I am sure that you will enjoy it once you have found a nice place for the course.
I can understand your frustration though. I mean.. I haven't started uni yet, I will in september, but I'm already getting sick of the problems I'm having with the uniXD My name is too long for all the forms I need to fill in, which means I need to call and e-mail the uni all the time when they ask me to fill in some forms XD.
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:59 pm

That seems a very silly fuss Niamh! I hope you get sorted out soon - perhaps you need to suggest they put a bit more room on the forms :roll:

Unhappy because although I had a great weekend (see happy hill) I'm really tired and feeling very lonely and isolated again. Also on the long journey home last night we were stuck completely for over an hour because of a bad accident. I hope everyone was alright, but unfortunately for me I made a comment at the time which obviously came out wrong (so tired at the time I can hardly remember) which led to a huge argument between me and my parents :? It keeps happening, and I think the fact that I'm very easily frustrated at the moment really isn't helping :(

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space