About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Killiney » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:19 pm

Is there any chance that the administrators could enable us to have our own personal pictures on our PCs as our avatars? For those who do not have PhotoBucket accounts and the like, this is really annoying that we cannot have our own pictures off our computers, what I mean is, is there any chance you have a browse button so we can choose stuff off the computer?

thanks.
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:50 pm

Photobucket is free... ;)
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:52 pm

Methica wrote:Photobucket is free... ;)

I know, but some people don't like to do things over the internet and have accounts online with these types of things
Behind the innocent,

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:08 pm

I see :). I think though that things like Photobucket are the only solution at the moment,,
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:08 pm

We turned the ability to upload avatars off some time age because of a security risk.

It was possible to create a JPG image such that it contained malicious code that was capable of stealing cookies and so on. So all that was needed was a malicious person to join up and then start nicking cookies - especially one such as mine where I've got full access to the board - and then they too would be able to do anything.

Either that or a cookie could get stolen from another user with the result that the hacker could get on as that user then use that account to attack other members, post spam, or create general mayhem.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:52 pm

Angoid wrote:We turned the ability to upload avatars off some time age because of a security risk.

It was possible to create a JPG image such that it contained malicious code that was capable of stealing cookies and so on. So all that was needed was a malicious person to join up and then start nicking cookies - especially one such as mine where I've got full access to the board - and then they too would be able to do anything.

Either that or a cookie could get stolen from another user with the result that the hacker could get on as that user then use that account to attack other members, post spam, or create general mayhem.

I'd have to take you word for it Angus, but let me ask you this, why, on other forums (you know which one I'm referring to) are we still allowed to do this, surely if there is such a great risk, they would disable the feature
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Could someone re-size my current avatar (remote) in some amount on behalf of me or tell me how to do it on my own? I had to change it recently and it's too huge at the moment! Thanks for any help!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:03 pm

cantilena91 wrote:Could someone re-size my current avatar (remote) in some amount on behalf of me or tell me how to do it on my own? I had to change it recently and it's too huge at the moment! Thanks for any help!

Suvi

Hi Suvi, you can change it at http://www.resizr.com =)
Here is the version I cut it to on Photoshop, but if you haven't got the right stuff included, resizr should be okay =)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/316 ... 93a1_o.jpg

I'll keep hosting it on my flickr if you want. If you want to add it to a photobucket/imageshack account etc. I can email it to you :)
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby ChrisRLG » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:55 pm

I am having to remove your avatar as it is making the screen distort.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks for your advice, the pic is hosted at my Windows Live! photos section at the moment but you can also host it on flickr as well. Thanks for your patience!

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby lizzy1e » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:34 pm

I can resize avatars for you if you like. Also I can host 1 or 2 on my photobucket, I don't see the harm in that - just let me know. :)
Image Amharc tríd na stoirmeacha.

http://lizzy1e.deviantart.com
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Thanks Liz, I think I'll try to resize update my avatar first myself somehow but if I fail on that I know who to contact!

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Re: Avatars

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi all,

Now that we have new forum software, can I just check what the optimum dimensions are for avatars?

I've just noticed that mine is now looking more than a bit squashed, which isn't all that flattering to either Moya or me!!! :mrgreen:

If somebody could advise, I'd be grateful, so that I can resize said avatar.

Thanks muchly!!!! :)
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:53 pm

I think the dimensions for avatars here are really small....it would make ANY picture look awkward. :(

I wonder what the reasons are for the limit - though it wouldn't make much sense to me if you told me anyway :mrgreen:

I just hope the dimension limits could be upped a little so we can put up some decent avatars of ourself ;)
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:50 pm

Phantas wrote:I think the dimensions for avatars here are really small....it would make ANY picture look awkward. :(

I wonder what the reasons are for the limit - though it wouldn't make much sense to me if you told me anyway :mrgreen:

I just hope the dimension limits could be upped a little so we can put up some decent avatars of ourself ;)

I think it's probably to do with some folks still having to rely on dial-up connections. Small.avatars make it less tedious (and expensive) in terms of loading time. Anyway, if the rules are still the same, I'll have a go at sorting mine out tomorrow.
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Administrator