Page 4 of 7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:39 pm
by Killiney
Angoid wrote:It would have been a better idea, yes :)

However, you had to install it anyway. I usually never run anything directly from the download location, partly for security reasons and partly because I like to keep the wizards until they are superseded (in which case they typically get sent to Azkaban).


When you say superceded, and send to 'Azkaban' do you mean you destroy them for want of a better word

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:44 pm
by Angoid
Clearly you haven't read Harry Potter. Azkaban is the wizards' jail.

All I'm saying is that I keep the installation wizards until a new one comes out. Then I delete the old one (or keep it for a while somewhere else in case the new one proves to be faulty).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:04 pm
by Killiney
Angoid wrote:Clearly you haven't read Harry Potter. Azkaban is the wizards' jail.

All I'm saying is that I keep the installation wizards until a new one comes out. Then I delete the old one (or keep it for a while somewhere else in case the new one proves to be faulty).


Can I just state something? I have read all seven Harry Potter books. And I certainly know about the wizard prison 'Azkaban'.

If I go to File -> Save As
Will this be ok as opposed to printing the instructions off? I kind of need to save ink.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:16 pm
by Angoid
You need to print the instructions off, because you'll probably forget the next step if you rely on memory.

So .... always save programs you have to downloaed, and always print off the instructions before you have to go into Safe Mode.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:21 pm
by Killiney
Angoid wrote:You need to print the instructions off, because you'll probably forget the next step if you rely on memory.

So .... always save programs you have to downloaed, and always print off the instructions before you have to go into Safe Mode.


My memory's appauling, but if I save the web page with the instructions on, as opposed to printing, will this still be OK?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:55 pm
by Killiney
Angus, the SmitFraud log is TOO big to fit into this post, so how do I go about letting you see it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:18 am
by Angoid
You can split it over two or more posts if you like, Killiney :) sometimes these logs can get huge, and if yours is that long, I'd imagine it has removed a fair bit of rubbish from your system.

As for your other question about saving rather than printing, you could save it as a text only file, with a .txt extension (rather than Word, just be be on the safe side). But often, it's easier to work from printed instructions as you can scribble on the printout as you go along, making notes of what you want to say in your next posting, rather than having to wait for the next reboot before you can see what to do next....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:06 am
by Killiney
Angoid wrote:You can split it over two or more posts if you like, Killiney :) sometimes these logs can get huge, and if yours is that long, I'd imagine it has removed a fair bit of rubbish from your system.

As for your other question about saving rather than printing, you could save it as a text only file, with a .txt extension (rather than Word, just be be on the safe side). But often, it's easier to work from printed instructions as you can scribble on the printout as you go along, making notes of what you want to say in your next posting, rather than having to wait for the next reboot before you can see what to do next....


Thanks, but I printed the instructions off, so here is half of the log :roll:

SmitFraudFix v2.284

Scan done at 10:18:26.53, 05/04/2008
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\nathan\Desktop\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is FAT32
Fix run in safe mode

Rest of log deleted due to security reasons

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:26 am
by Killiney
post deleted as requested

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:28 am
by Killiney
post deleted as requested

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:31 am
by Killiney
post deleted as requested

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:33 am
by ChrisRLG
you can ignor all the lines from the hosts file that start 127.0.0.1

they are all legit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:34 am
by Killiney
post deleted as requested

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:45 am
by Killiney
post deleted as requested

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:47 am
by Killiney
ChrisRLG wrote:you can ignor all the lines from the hosts file that start 127.0.0.1

they are all legit.



Oh. Sorry Chris, I was in the middle of copying the log, but I'm confused, I've never even been on any of those websites