Popups

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Angoid » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:36 pm

You're welcome, Jolene :)

Unfortunately, this is how bad programs work. They are designed to look like the genuine article, but it's only when you actually get them on board that you realise you've been had.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:51 pm

When I visit the link to the instructions for SmitFraudFix, I can't download it, all I get is a folder, and the instructions say I should have an icon in the shape of a diamond, and I'm confused.
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby ChrisRLG » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:09 pm

Killiney

It is indeed a yellow diamond icon.

Try again - here is the link to click

Click This Link
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:16 am

ChrisRLG wrote:Killiney

It is indeed a yellow diamond icon.

Try again - here is the link to click

Click This Link

It still downloads as a folder with no yellow diamond icon, the files are as follows:

dumphive

GenericRenosFix

IEDFix

Reeboot

SmitfraudFix

SrchSTS

swsc

unzip

VCCLSID

exit

HostsChk

Process

restart

SmiUpdate

swreg

swxcacls

VACFix

WS2Fix
Behind the innocent,

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:58 pm

When you click the link that Chris gave, it takes you straight to the download site - save the file to your Desktop - it's called SmitFraudFix.exe.

It has a yellow 'biohazard' icon.

Take a look here - it also has a download location (although different, the program is identical so no need to download it twice) but it talks you through using the tool.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:35 pm

Angoid wrote:When you click the link that Chris gave, it takes you straight to the download site - save the file to your Desktop - it's called SmitFraudFix.exe.

It has a yellow 'biohazard' icon.

Take a look here - it also has a download location (although different, the program is identical so no need to download it twice) but it talks you through using the tool.

I clicked the link that Chris gave me, but I still get a folder with a load of stuff in it that bares no resemblence to a biohazard icon.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:56 pm

The yellow biohazard icon is the program's icon. That's what you see above the program name after you have downloaded it.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:30 am

Angoid wrote:The yellow biohazard icon is the program's icon. That's what you see above the program name after you have downloaded it.

Angus, I think you are misunderstanding me, so I'll try to make it clearer,
when I used the link Chris provided, and downloaded the file, I get a FOLDER instead, there is no yellow biohazard icon on any of the files within that folder, so as you can see, I'm completely confused.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:44 pm

When you click the link that Chris gave, you should get one of those pop-up windows that prompts you to download a file. This is perfectly OK.

The name of the file is SmitfraudFix.exe. Click on Save to save it to your Desktop. It's about 1.16MB in size.

Once it has downloaded, there will be a yellow 'biohazard' icon on your Desktop.

The reboot into Safe Mode. To do this, close down your PC as normal but when you power it back on, keep tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Choose Safe Mode and go onto Windows as yourself (I'm assuming your account is set up as an administrator).

Double-click the 'biohazard', and the program will run, placing a yellow folder onto your Desktop. The 'biohazard' icon will remain: it's what we call an extractor.

But then a box should appear in the centre of the screen giving some details you don't need to worry about, followed by a message telling you to press any key to continue. Press the Enter key.

Then the options .... follow the instructions as per the links I gave before (you did print them off, didn't you?).

Select the Fix option, and let it do everything. The tidying-up phase may take some time. When it has finished, power down and back up again as you would normally do.

Then follow the rest of the earlier instructions.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:57 pm

Let me explain a little clear, I gather I do not make sense.

When I clicked the link Chris gave me, I get a pop up saying 'run' or 'save', I click run, and when the download finishes, I get a COMPLETE folder with no icons bearing any resemblence to a biohazard logo. The all have like an icon for a 'command prompt' or something similar.

I do not have a file called 'SmitfraudFix.exe
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:13 pm

Click 'Save' instead of 'Run'. You must save it to your Dektop, and run it in Safe Mode as described above.

If you try to run it directly from the download, it may fail.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:18 pm

Angoid wrote:Click 'Save' instead of 'Run'. You must save it to your Dektop, and run it in Safe Mode as described above.

If you try to run it directly from the download, it may fail.

That'll be why I went wrong then.

I clicked 'Run' for the Spybot thing, should I have clicked 'Save' instead?
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:15 am

As a general rule, always use Save and not Run when you download a program.

Partly because the program you're downloading could be bad news (malware) - OK, unlikely if you've got an ASAP member helping you :)

Partly because there may be some prerequisites before running it - as in your case, you must run SmitfraudFix from Safe Mode, and as you have no Internet access in Safe Mode you cannot possibly run it directly.

Also because you know where the install program (usually called a 'wizard') will be saved, so you have it for future reference if need be.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:16 pm

Angoid wrote:As a general rule, always use Save and not Run when you download a program.

Partly because the program you're downloading could be bad news (malware) - OK, unlikely if you've got an ASAP member helping you :)

Partly because there may be some prerequisites before running it - as in your case, you must run SmitfraudFix from Safe Mode, and as you have no Internet access in Safe Mode you cannot possibly run it directly.

Also because you know where the install program (usually called a 'wizard') will be saved, so you have it for future reference if need be.

Point taken.

Should I have saved the spybot thing? Instead of running it?
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:20 pm

It would have been a better idea, yes :)

However, you had to install it anyway. I usually never run anything directly from the download location, partly for security reasons and partly because I like to keep the wizards until they are superseded (in which case they typically get sent to Azkaban).
Angoid
Technical Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Administrator