Popups

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Killiney » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:37 pm

When I go to download the AVG antispyware thing, it says its like 52US$
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

Firsty, my apologies ..... I've been away for the weekend and have only just got back.

Secondly, make sure you go for the free one. There is a free version there, but of course they'll try and sell you the full package.

Try this link and download where it says "AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5". That's the freeware edition.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:42 pm

Angoid wrote:Firsty, my apologies ..... I've been away for the weekend and have only just got back.

Secondly, make sure you go for the free one. There is a free version there, but of course they'll try and sell you the full package.

Try this link and download where it says "AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5". That's the freeware edition.

Angus, it doesn't really matter that you were away for the weekend. I've been too emotionally challenged to notice. (sorry)

I'm a little too busy tonight, so I'll mark the notification in my e-mail inbox as 'unread' and I'll come back to it tomorrow. Sorry.
Behind the innocent,

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:53 pm

No need to apologise :) but thanks for letting me know :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:01 pm

Angoid wrote:No need to apologise :) but thanks for letting me know :)

You're welcome :) I should be getting on with things, so that's what I'm going to do. I'll be talking to you tomorrow evening. Sorry, important stuff to when I get in after college. As well as listening to Clannad lol. I'll make time for you. And this laptop meeds sorting lol
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:21 pm

When I go to download CCleaner, I can't find a download button. (page 1 of this tread)
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:15 pm

Use the "Download latest version" button in the top right of the FileHippo download link:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:30 pm

Sorry, I'm becoming a pain, where's the download button for Spybot Search and Destroy?
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby jolene » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:39 am

Jo
jolene

Postby Angoid » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:58 am

Jolene - NO!!!!!!!! uninstall that one straight away!!!!!!

It's not the same as Spybot Search and Destroy - that's why we are always specifying "Spybot Search and Destroy" as opposed to just "spybot".

At least this one looks like no more than a rogue product, trading on the confusion caused by using a shortened version of the same name:

Please see here.
Also here.

Does that program give you incessant popups and warnings to purchase it? Or have you already bought it?
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:36 am

No offence Jolene, but I would rather Angus the Technical Administrator told me where to get things and how to use them. I think that's why I initially started this thread.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:13 pm

I think Jolene was trying to be helpful :) but unfortunately this is so often the nature of this game - good, unsuspecting folk get deceived.

If you visit a website and it tries to push a spyware remover on to you, especially something with 'WinFixer' in the name, chances are it'll be bad news and cause problems you never had before, or make existing problems even worse.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:33 pm

Angoid wrote:I think Jolene was trying to be helpful :) but unfortunately this is so often the nature of this game - good, unsuspecting folk get deceived.

If you visit a website and it tries to push a spyware remover on to you, especially something with 'WinFixer' in the name, chances are it'll be bad news and cause problems you never had before, or make existing problems even worse.

Angus, I know jolene was trying to be helpful, and the main reason I won't ask anyone for help other than someone who knows what they're doing is because I don't know what I'm doing.

Oh, Angus, can you tell me where I can get the Spyware Search and Destroy thing, I couldn't find the download button.

Thanks.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:48 pm

That one is a bit of a faff-about as there are a lot of links all bearing words such as "Download" that just take you to another page of advertising first....

Go here and scroll down to the links in large red letters.

Select a mirror:

Download Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 here! (SecurityWonks 1 - [Europe])
Download Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 here! (SecurityWonks 2 - [USA])
Download Spybot-S&D 1.5.2 here! (SecurityWonks 3 - [USA])

Use any of them - they all download the same thing. What happens is that a popular program such as this is hosted on many different download sites, so you just choose the one that's nearest to where you live.

There's an excellent tutorial here; scroll past the advertising and follow those instriuctions on installing it and setting it up.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby jolene » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:10 pm

Angoid, thanks a heap :)

I've installed the right spybot now and maybe my pc will not be such a puzzle anymore. :mrgreen:
Jo
jolene

PreviousNext

Return to Administrator