Junk Posts or Members with SPAM links

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Angoid » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:01 am

OK, will do :)

FYI - Piney is known to me from elsewhere, and is someone whose judgement I trust :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Eternal_Silence » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:34 pm

Hey, now I read in this thread, I happen to remember a spam post I must have forgotten to tell you guys about when I saw it. It was posted quite some time ago, don't know why I still remember it :mrgreen:. But here it is:

http://forums.moyabrennan.com/viewtopic.php?t=921&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

By a member called Valar2006 and his post says: Why Not? and then some invisible links which I guess they'd like you to accidentally click on.
Hope that helps too :)

Marlies
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby gregoing » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:48 pm

Wow - that's almost two YEARS old! Lol! But still, thanks a lot for alerting us to that. I've just taken care of that post (and of him).

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Eternal_Silence » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:59 pm

Hehe yeah I know ^^' Glad it's taken care of now though =P

The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby ChrisRLG » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:14 pm

The reason they posted the links :-

a. to hopefully get someone to click.

b. to provide a link in the forum for google to notice.

As the links were hidden, only google might have noticed, unless by accident someone happened to click the page.

They hope google will notice, so that their websites will gain more links into their site, which is one way of enhancing their status within google's system. that would have been the main reason for the post.

That unfortunatly is the main reason behind most spammer posters.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Angoid » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:08 am

About a year ago, we had a spammer hit another forum I'm on (Suggestafix) and the message had dots instead of spaces, and also lots of smileys.

Each smiley was a link to a nasty site, and each dot was also a link to a nasty site.

It took us a day or two before we noticed what had happened, and then after that we zapped the spammer once and for all.

I banned Kance yesterday, so it's a bit concerning that Blackdove seemed to receive the same spam after the spammer had been banned. Greg answered Blackdove and locked the thread. Please see here - same junk PM :(
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby gregoing » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:26 pm

Angoid wrote:I banned Kance yesterday, so it's a bit concerning that Blackdove seemed to receive the same spam after the spammer had been banned.

Well, I assumed Kance sent the PM to Blackdove before he/she was banned, and that Blackdove opened the PM after Kance was banned.
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby moya-guest » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:50 am

when i try to register, i get every time, anit-spambot not response.

what can i do about it?

thank you
moya-guest

Postby ChrisRLG » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:22 am

Is two parts to that spammer checking.

One - the code part - which if you cannot read it properly, refresh your screen for a second try.

The second is a random list of fruits, where you have to 'tick' or 'checkmark' the two mentioned, they again are random, so will change for each time the page is refreshed.

If you still fail can you please email to me and I will set the account up for you.

Please provide your required username and use the email account you wish to use on the forum.

Send that email to admin AT malwareremoval DOT com
You will need to change the AT to @ and DOT to "."
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Two new spammers detected!

Postby cantilena91 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:30 pm

Just spotted two new spammer accounts, please ban them as soon as possible! Thanks!
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby ChrisRLG » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:47 pm

done.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Dab051176 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:58 am

There's another post that looks like spam crept into the General forum this morning.
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:48 pm

Nicely spotted Dave :)
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Angoid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks :) I spotted it and dealt with it within 2 hours of the 'response' being made :)

This is a common spammer tactic now: one 'member' joins to ask a question, and then someone else joins a little while later to answer it with a link to the website.

Solution: Remove the junk posts and ban the 'members' that did it.
Let "Banned Member" show up besire their names so other folk Googling on them can see that they are nothing more than worthless spammers :mrgreen:
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dab051176 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Angoid wrote:Thanks :) I spotted it and dealt with it within 2 hours of the 'response' being made :)

This is a common spammer tactic now: one 'member' joins to ask a question, and then someone else joins a little while later to answer it with a link to the website.

Solution: Remove the junk posts and ban the 'members' that did it.
Let "Banned Member" show up besire their names so other folk Googling on them can see that they are nothing more than worthless spammers :mrgreen:

I'd got a feeling you'd have seen it, Angus - Just wanted to make sure!!! :wink:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Administrator