Chat Room

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Chat Room

Postby Endymion » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:30 pm

Hi
I have been thinking about a Chat Room for members,this forum can have one for us chatting each other in real time??

What you think of it?
Endymion
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Maya85 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:13 am

I think it is good idea. It is always nice to talk with other fans :)
Make my heart a better place
Maya85
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Methica » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:33 am

I aslo think it´s a good idea, just like there at uity... I think it may be hard work for those wjo can, to make it, but I hope it is possible..:D
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Nigel » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:23 pm

Great idea!!! Where do i sign? :D
Nigel
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:09 am

I've never used a chatroom, so forgive me if I get this wrong, but surely there is little difference between that and the forum itself? The forum is more secure surely :? Those of us who want to just chat can use things like msn???
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Angoid » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:46 am

The sort of thing I think people have in mind here G is like a "mini-chat" facility rather like the one over at Unity.

It's a room into which only registered members of this forum would be able to enter, so you're not chatting to just any old Tom, Dick, and Harry.

There is a big difference between a chat room and the forum itself in that the chat room is interactive, rather like MSN.

Think of it being a bit like an "alwasy-on" moshroom, and people can come in/leave at will :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Endymion » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:37 pm

Angoid wrote:The sort of thing I think people have in mind here G is like a "mini-chat" facility rather like the one over at Unity.

It's a room into which only registered members of this forum would be able to enter, so you're not chatting to just any old Tom, Dick, and Harry.

There is a big difference between a chat room and the forum itself in that the chat room is interactive, rather like MSN.

Think of it being a bit like an "alwasy-on" moshroom, and people can come in/leave at will :)

Thats exactly what I think.
Endymion
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Turlough » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:13 am

It would give people a way to confer without being equipped with a MSN account. And I'm sure MB would like it in December for the Christmas Conference. (If she can be around for another one this year) I know it would never replace MSN, because I'm sure it would be moderated, causing inhibition not found on MSN.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby gregoing » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:42 am

Well, we moderators are doing what we do with every forum member in mind, so I'm not sure I would be so quick to speak of forum moderation as a bad thing. We're doing our best for you.

With that said, I don't know that a forum live chat room would be able to be moderated unless everything said on it was recorded somewhere in a log. The moderators can't be on the forum all the time; so unless we had a log, the chat room wouldn't be moderated unless a mod was on the forum at the time (and even then, we probably wouldn't have moderator tools at our disposal to use in the live chat room).

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Endymion » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:01 pm

First I dont think it will need a mod to control what is said on the Chat Room,I never see anyone disrespecting others in this forum.
Then the Chat Room can have the so called Op that have to be chosen by Admin and Moderators,and must be some of members,those which enter in the Chat Room most of the time.

It works like in the mirc,I dont know if you recognize this,but for ones who know how mirc works is like that.....but inside the forum.
Endymion
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Angoid » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:14 pm

I've used mIRC a little bit and have the client software, but can't say I've used it enough to categorise myself as an "expert".

Unless, that is, you use the definition of "expert" that we have at work, being "one who has heard of the product".

By this definition, everyone who has read that last post and this one are experts :lol:

I prefer the definition of "expert" as being "one who knows all the pitfalls on the way to the major disaster" :lol:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby ChrisRLG » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:28 pm

The decision on this is not in my hands as I am a technical expert only - the decisions are made elsewhere, by the proper admins and moderators.

But I do run several chatrooms with robot's used to guard and record the chat in them and such - and it would be technically possible to have one.

It would also be possible to have a java script available for those without any IRC chat client software.

It would NOT be possible to limit it to only members of this forum - it would have to be wide open to anyone who wishes to join, which would include spammers and others who you might wish were not allowed in.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Endymion » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:22 pm

ChrisRLG wrote:The decision on this is not in my hands as I am a technical expert only - the decisions are made elsewhere, by the proper admins and moderators.

But I do run several chatrooms with robot's used to guard and record the chat in them and such - and it would be technically possible to have one.

It would also be possible to have a java script available for those without any IRC chat client software.

It would NOT be possible to limit it to only members of this forum - it would have to be wide open to anyone who wishes to join, which would include spammers and others who you might wish were not allowed in.

Even better!!
Then why moderators and admins dont try to have a chat room?? If you see that is working well in all aspects then the forum can continues with it,maybe one week or one month is a good time to see if its a good thing,but I'm sure is it,because it will make more people contacting each other and online with the members of the forum.

Lets do it?
Endymion
Enthusiastic Member

Postby lizzy1e » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:29 pm

A flash based chatroom might be nice. :wink:
Image Amharc tríd na stoirmeacha.

http://lizzy1e.deviantart.com
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby ChrisRLG » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:31 pm

They may not want the resoncibility of running a chatroom - that in itself is a good enough reason for some people.

I need them for what I do, as I support people with virus problems - something IRC is the best way to assist them.

That does not apply here.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Next

Return to Administrator