Moya's wonderful concert in Breda

Memories of shows, dreams of shows to come

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Moya's wonderful concert in Breda

Postby Yvonne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:35 am

Hello everyone :D !

Here is my review of Moya´s concert in Breda last Tuesday. A Moya concert is always a special occasion and this time it certainly was. I was very happy that I had managed to get first row seats. It was great to see everything so well. Moya looked beautiful in her white dress. As other people said before, the sound was a bit different, a bit more modern perhaps, but I didn´t think there were very big changes. It is still the Moya sound we all love, but with some different details. It was very good. The setlist had a lot of variation, old songs, new songs, uptempo songs and slower songs:

1. Show me
2. Is it now
3. Mothers of the Desert
4. The Poison Glen
5. Mhaire Bruineall
6. Tunes: Mrs McDermott, Reel of..? , and another song I can’t remember the name of
7. Crann Ull
8. Mhorag’s na horo Gheallaidh
9. Alasdair MacColla
10. Robin of Sherwood Medley: Robin the hooded man, Lady Marian, Together We, Ancient Forest
11. Sinead: Someone Else
12. A Mhuirnin o

Break

1. Ca de sin do’n te sin
2. Two Horizons
3. From where I stand
4. Dulaman
5. Carolan’s Concerto
6. Tara
7. Theme from Harry’s Game*
8. I will find you*
9. Many Faces
10. Against the Wind
11. She moved through the Fair
12. Two Sisters

*I am not completely sure about the order of these songs. Usually I write down the setlist immediately when I come home, but I wasn’t able to do that this time. I hope I remembered the rest correctly!

.Moya started off with 3 songs from Two Horizons blended together which was a nice opener. After that she sang the Poison Glen, which was probably the highlight of the concert for me. I love that song and I had never heard it live. It was a great performance, Moya’s voice sounded especially beautiful and clear. Another highlight for me was the performance of Crann Ull. Moya told us that it was a lullaby. I didn’t know that. I always thought it was a very cute song and this new version is very beautiful. The Robin of Sherwood medley was great as always. This time images of the TV series were projected in the background, which was nice. The last song of the first half was A Mhuirnin O and we all had to sing along, which was very nice.

The first 2 songs of the second half were switched due to some technical problems. After that came the next unexpected highlight : From where I stand, also a song I like very much and had never heard live before. I am glad that Moya also did another personal favourite of mine, Tara, such a lovely song, especially that middle part. Near the end Moya sang Many Faces, which is probably one of the best live songs I know, it is almost impossible to sit still with this one! The last song was Against the wind, also a fantastic live song. I couldn’t believe it when Moya said it was the last song already! Thankfully, we got 2 encores: She moved through the Fair (very beautiful, I like this version better than Moya’s earlier version because of the harp) and the last song, Two Sisters. I can’t think of a better way of ending a concert than with this song: it is such a lot of fun!

Fun is also word that comes to mind when I think about the interaction on stage during the concert. You can see how much fun they are having, there are many smiles and the atmosphere is just great. It just sparkles off the stage (I hope that that’s a correct sentence)

Afterwards Moya signed CD´s and she was as kind as ever. She is such a warm and genuinely kind person. She took the time to talk to everyone. I also had a very nice chat with her. I know we are used to it, but it is still very special and it must be a very nice surprise for people who go to a Moya concert for the first time. I hope it won´t be too long before I can go to a Moya concert again! For now, I enjoyed every minute of it!

Moya and band, thank you very much for a wonderful evening! :D

Love,

Yvonne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Niamh » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for the nice review! The setlist in Eindhoven was about the same, she didn't play From where I stand though! I'm a bit jealous! She probably changed that one with 'The one'. I'm not sure if that's the correct title :)
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:40 pm

@ Suzanne - Thnaks for the review, it sounds as if it was a great night.

@ Niamh - Was it "You're the One" that Moya did in Eindhoven? If so, she sang it at some of the UK concerts last year, and it was amazing!

Although I love "Where I Stand", too, I'd have been happy to hear either, or better still, both! :mrgreen:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Suzanne, thanks for the wonderful review :). Bye the way, Moya mentioned that she perhaps will be on tour in December in Germany again.

In Kerkrade Moya sang also "Your the one" and she introduced it as the duet with the man without teeth :? . But the morning before I went to the concert I watched "Music of Ireland - Welcome home" so I knew whom she meant :wink:.
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Yvonne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Wow, I didn't realize that it was that special that Moya sang " From where I stand" in Breda. I don't know the song You're the one (the duet). Of course I would have liked to hear that one too, but I am very happy that she sang FWIS, it is a beautiful song!

Susann, Moya told me that she would probably do a Christmas Tour in Germany again, and not in the Netherlands. I am thinking and hoping that I may be able to go to Germany this year. I would love to go to a Christmas concert.... By the way, I changed my username to my real name Yvonne (Suzanne is only my second name) so now you are the only Susann on the forum :mrgreen: )

Love,

Yvonne
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby PierreC » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:29 am

She played where is stand ???

A persistant request that finally worked...but i wasnt there to hear it..

oh damn volcano..
PierreC
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Niamh » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:00 am

Dab051176 wrote:@ Niamh - Was it "You're the One" that Moya did in Eindhoven? If so, she sang it at some of the UK concerts last year, and it was amazing!

Although I love "Where I Stand", too, I'd have been happy to hear either, or better still, both! :mrgreen:

Yeah I think so, like Susann said, she told us it was a duet with the man without teeth. So it must be the same song! I hadn't heard it before
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:54 am

From the descriptions people are giving, it was definitely "You're the One" that Moya sang in Eindhoven and Kerkrade.

As it seems to be causing a bit of confusion, the "man without teeth" that Moya was referring to is Shane McGowan! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll let you look him up on the Internet for yourselves if you want an explanation, to avoid going spectacularly off-topic! :mrgreen:

Admin has very kindly posted the original version of "You're the One" on YouTube, so if you fancy a listen (especially those who hadn't heard it before this week's concerts!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHPMmRHauNE

Enjoy!
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ardens » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Wow, now that I hear that Moya sang songs from "Two Horizons" and even "From where I stand", I regret a bit that I didn't go to any of the concerts in the Netherlands! I enjoyed the "Two Horizons"-concert years ago so much and I always hoped that she would play songs from that album again. And "From where I stand" is a favourite of mine that I haven't heard live yet, as far as I can remember.

Keep playing these great songs from the old albums, Moya! And come to Germany again soon, if it is possible! :wink:
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Luned » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:05 pm

"Is it now", "From where I stand' and "Tara" during one concert!!! aaawwwwww that sounds utterly fantastic! :D and the news about a possible Christmas Tour in Germany is so promising! Maybe Moya could drop by and sing for an audience on the other side of the boarder, too... ;)
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Yvonne » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:55 am

Dave, Thanks for posting the YouTube link. It is a beautiful song, Moya sounds very beautiful, although I have to admit that I am not too crazy about the " rough" sounding voice of Shane McGowan!

Luned and Ardens: Yes, she did many songs from Two Horizons and only one from Signature. When the song Two Horizons started I was afraid that she wouldn't sing Tara, which is a favourite of mine, but thankfully she did! Near the end I realized that I hadn't heard a single song from Signature yet, but then came the wonderful Many Faces!

And yes, From Where I Stand was a great surprise. I love that song and the lyrics. I thought it was a bit of a substitute for Perfect Time which she didn't do. I always feel that these 2 songs have a similar mood and message. I love both songs and it was really special to hear FWIS!

It must be very difficult to put a setlist together, I think. Moya has soooo many fantastic songs to choose from (even more now with the new CD, which is very good :D ). She could easily fill many evenings with all different songs! :D

Love,

Yvonne
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Yvonne wrote:Dave, Thanks for posting the YouTube link. It is a beautiful song, Moya sounds very beautiful, although I have to admit that I am not too crazy about the " rough" sounding voice of Shane McGowan!

No, I have to admit I prefer Moya's solo version, too, Yvonne, but that's just me being completely biased! :wink::mrgreen:
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Yvonne » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Dab051176 wrote:[No, I have to admit I prefer Moya's solo version, too, Yvonne, but that's just me being completely biased! :wink::mrgreen:

Whereas I am of course totally unbiased :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would love to hear Moya's soloversion of it, is it also available on CD or has she only sung it solo during concerts?

Love,

Yvonne
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Moya's wonderful concert in Breda

Postby dids » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks for your report Yvonne! :D

Yvonne wrote:Moya started off with 3 songs from Two Horizons blended together which was a nice opener.

I personnaly think that 'Show Me' is the best song to open a show...

Yvonne wrote: Moya also did another personal favourite of mine, Tara, such a lovely song, especially that middle part.

I love it too, unfortunately she did not perform it in Vienne...

Yvonne wrote:Afterwards Moya signed CD´s and she was as kind as ever. She is such a warm and genuinely kind person. She took the time to talk to everyone. I also had a very nice chat with her. I know we are used to it, but it is still very special and it must be a very nice surprise for people who go to a Moya concert for the first time.

aaah, the MBE... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Yvonne wrote: Whereas I am of course totally unbiased :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would love to hear Moya's soloversion of it, is it also available on CD or has she only sung it solo during concerts?

Love,

Yvonne

As far as I know, the only recorded version is the duet, Yvonne (if anyone knows differently, could they please let me know, so that I can buy a copy?! :wink:), and I'm not sure how readily available it is now... :roll:

Up to now, Moya's solo version has been reserved for us lucky concert-goers! :mrgreen:
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Return to Moya live