What is your favourite Clannad album (BMG years 1983-1998)?

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

1983: Magical Ring
No votes
1984: Legend
11%
1985: Macalla
56%
1987: Sirius
No votes
1988: Atlantic Realm
No votes
1989: The Angel and the Soldier Boy
11%
1990: Anam
No votes
1993: Banba
11%
1996: Lore
No votes
1998: Landmarks
11%

Total votes : 9

Postby Mariusz Maxwell Krause » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:01 pm

Dear all,

Following favourite Máire / Moya album poll here is the another one: What is your favourite Clannad album (BMG years 1983-1998)?
As there can be only 10 items in the poll I have decided to start from BMG albums (from Magical Ring until Landmarks). We can do classic Clannad albums as well.

In my case I've started to recognize Clannad from Legend album when I was just a little kid watching fabulous TV series "Robin of Sherwood". But my very first Clannad album I've bought was Sirius.

I've been listening to all those albums recently again (both original and remastered editions) and I have to say there are truly magical.

Also here I will have problem to choose between all those albums - how I can choose which is my favourie: Macalla, Anam or Lore while they are all so fantastic.

I really do hope Clannad will finally release new album and it will perhaps happen in 2013 8)

Have a fun voting for your favourite Clannad album :)
Cpt. Janeway: "There are three things to remember about being a starship captain: Keep your shirt tucked in, go down with the ship, and never abandon a member of your crew."
Mariusz Maxwell Krause
Enthusiastic Member

Re: What is your favourite Clannad album (BMG years 1983-199

Postby Yvonne » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:47 am

This one is even more difficult. It is difficult to choose between the 3 albums starting with "L" Legend, Lore and Landmarks, which are my 3 favourites. I decided to vote for Legend, I love the atmosphere of that album as a whole but Lore and Landmarks have many of my favourite songs on them! :D

I am also looking forward to the new album (of course)!

Love,

Yvonne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Susann » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 am

Oh my Goodness, this is a difficult question. I love them all - okay on "Sirus" there some songs or parts of songs I don't like so much but I especially love the song "Skellig" and the music from "Atlantic Realm" I don't really know.

But I gave my vote "The Angel and the Soldier Boy". Years ago I found the CD and the DVD by chance in the internet and bought it. The first time that I listened to the CD was on a train on my way to one of Moya's Christmas concerts in Germany. This was so beautiful. I really loved it. :D
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 am

Have moved this topic to the Clannad forum for you :)

Very hard question, as I like them all the same, with the exception of Legend (ducks to avoid flying objects from the RoS fans) and The Angel and the Soldier Boy, which I haven't heard. When in the right mood I love Sirius, but I think Macalla gets my vote...especially when saved until driving down the Dunlewy road into Gweedore :oops: :D
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Mariusz Maxwell Krause » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Grania wrote:Have moved this topic to the Clannad forum for you :)

THANK YOU. You're an angel :)
Cpt. Janeway: "There are three things to remember about being a starship captain: Keep your shirt tucked in, go down with the ship, and never abandon a member of your crew."
Mariusz Maxwell Krause
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Yvonne » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Susann wrote:But I gave my vote "The Angel and the Soldier Boy". Years ago I found the CD and the DVD by chance in the internet and bought it. The first time that I listened to the CD was on a train on my way to one of Moya's Christmas concerts in Germany. This was so beautiful. I really loved it. :D

I have the Angel and the Soldier Boy CD and I think it is a lovely CD, such sweet music, but I didn't know that there was also a DVD. That must be very nice! It's a pity that the story on the CD isn't in Dutch, then I could have let my son listen to it, I love Tom Conti's voice though, very distinctive :)

Love,

Yvonne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Grania wrote:When in the right mood I love Sirius, but I think Macalla gets my vote...especially when saved until driving down the Dunlewy road into Gweedore :oops: :D

Agreed. People tend to give Sirius quite a hard time, which doesn't seem very fair. OK, I confess I don't listen to it as often as some of the other albums, but like you, G - when I'm in the mood, I quite enjoy it.

I'm going with G, and voting Macalla though, and for a very similar reason. I'm sure we've all heard Moya say that the Clannad sound is derived from Donegal and it's stunning beauty. It's hard to explain why, but Macalla proves the point for me. There's nothing quite like listening to Caislean Oír at full blast whilst driving through the mountains, or listening to In a Lifetime whilst looking at the boat on Bunbeg beach.

For those who haven't tried it - I would urge you to!!!!! :D
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:14 am

For me it was quite hard to choose between Banba and Lore, but as Banba was the VERY first Clannad album I bought, I decided to give my vote to that album. Very strong melodies there indeed, as songs like Na Laethe Bhí. Mystery Games, Soul Searcher, Sunset Dreams & I Will Find You are all on Banba and they belong to my MOST favourite Clannad songs ever (alongside Tráthnona Beag Areir, Bridge That Carries Us Over, Seanchas, Dealramh Go Deo, Trail Of Tears and Croí Cróga that are on Lore album).

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Dab051176 wrote:
Grania wrote:
I'm going with G, and voting Macalla though, and for a very similar reason. I'm sure we've all heard Moya say that the Clannad sound is derived from Donegal and it's stunning beauty. It's hard to explain why, but Macalla proves the point for me. There's nothing quite like listening to Caislean Oír at full blast whilst driving through the mountains, or listening to In a Lifetime whilst looking at the boat on Bunbeg beach.

Absolutely! For me it's Caislean Oir while overlooking the poison glen, one seems to enhance the experience of the other somehow.

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Susann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Yvonne wrote:I have the Angel and the Soldier Boy CD and I think it is a lovely CD, such sweet music, but I didn't know that there was also a DVD. That must be very nice! It's a pity that the story on the CD isn't in Dutch, then I could have let my son listen to it, I love Tom Conti's voice though, very distinctive :)

I don't know how old your son is but maybe he would like the DVD. The DVD is without words - you see the cute comic and listen to the music. It takes 25 minutes. :)

Grania wrote:For me it's Caislean Oir while overlooking the poison glen, one seems to enhance the experience of the other somehow.

I have the same feelings with listening to "Poison Glen" while overlooking or walking in the Poison Glen. :D :D :D

Dab051176 wrote: ...or listening to In a Lifetime whilst looking at the boat on Bunbeg beach.

But you have to hurry up. The wreck is disappearing more and more from year to year. :wink:
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Poison Glen at the poison glen is a given of course :D but for me Caislean Oir is more dramatic

Of course from here we could discuss the effects of listening to Bridge of Tears on the bridge of tears :D That is an experience

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Susann » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Grania wrote:Poison Glen at the poison glen is a given of course :D but for me Caislean Oir is more dramatic

For driving in Ireland I have created 10 CDs with music by Clannad, Moya, Enya and the Duggan's. When I'm in Ireland every morning I put a new CD in the player but I don't have a look which one it is. So, some years ago I was on the way to Glenveagh and exactly when I came to Dunlewey "Poison Glen" started. Boah, I got goose bumps. I will never forget this moment. :D :D :D

And always when I see Mount Errigal or when I walk along the beaches I have to think at "Of this land" - "How wild the mountains stare as they guard our everyday" and "How gentle was the breeze that surrounded the way. How loud the sea's roar on the four winds everyday". :D :D :D
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Mariusz Maxwell Krause » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Dab051176 wrote:
Grania wrote:When in the right mood I love Sirius, but I think Macalla gets my vote...especially when saved until driving down the Dunlewy road into Gweedore :oops: :D

Agreed. People tend to give Sirius quite a hard time, which doesn't seem very fair. OK, I confess I don't listen to it as often as some of the other albums, but like you, G - when I'm in the mood, I quite enjoy it.

I do love Sirius. It is not really a folk album but stunning rock album. Every songs is just great. Also I need to mention fantastic production (again more mainstream than any other classic Clannad album)
Last edited by Mariusz Maxwell Krause on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mariusz Maxwell Krause
Enthusiastic Member

Postby wonky_eggs » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:10 am

It was a hard choice, but I went with 'Macalla' which works more as an album for me compared to some of the others. I love the other albums, but I'm not keen on some of the production; especially on Lore which I feel is over-produced. I love Sirius, despite its production it's bold and has plenty of songs you can wail along to at the top of your voice. Banba is a fave as it was the first proper Clannad album I bought (a friend had taped Pastpresent and Legend for me) and I listened to it over and over around Christmas '95 - that and Enya's 'Memory of Trees' were on rotation in my room.
wonky_eggs

Return to Clannad