Of This Land

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

'Of This Land' is one of Moya's best ever songs, yes or no?

Yes! I absolutely adore it
64%
Yes, I like it
24%
Grania, you're crazy, NO!
12%

Total votes : 33

Postby Grania » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:34 pm

This is getting interesting :lol:

To me, this song is about Ireland in winter - 'Precious time, time for healing the beauty of this land' - time for healing, the time when nature sleeps, before growing again into spring.
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Killiney » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:43 pm

My dear Grania,

Please read the booklet in the 'Landmarks' album.

I quote

"...Meanwhile, Moya was moved to write 'Of This Land', concerning Ireland and its painful history. Like many people, she felt that a healng process was the only long term solution"

'Precious time. Time for healing the beauty of this land' , to me, means that what time we have, we must set aside our wrongs, and stop fighting and killing people. Perhaps the song is relating to Limerick, CO Limerick, which is known as 'Cut-throat Ally' because of all the deaths, so perhaps the song is relating to that. Only Máire Ní Bhraonáin will truly know because she wrote the song.
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:46 pm

:lol: I bow before your superior speed and interpretation. I was reading that passage at about the same as you were posting that. One to you my friend :)

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Killiney » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:53 pm

Thank you very much, but I read that about 3 months ago, and I got the booklet out to quote the exact words. Also from the same album 'A Mhuirnín Ó' which means 'O, love will you come home?'. According to the booklet, Máire was teasing her brother for being late for a particular session, and she began singing a line from an old folk song, perhaps this is linked to 'Of This Land', perhaps there has been so many people left destraught because loved ones have died?

As previously stated, Máire Ní Bhraonáin wrote the song, so only she will truly know.

This is nice having a lengthy discussion about the meaning of a particular song. Thankyou, Grania.
Behind the innocent,

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:02 pm

Yes, I love that little part about A Mhuirnín Ó :lol: Really makes me think about the connection that the band (especially Moya and Ciarán) displayed when I saw them on stage together - intimate, fantastic.

What other songs can we pull apart? :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Killiney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:00 am

Well, personally I've never been to see Clannad, but I'll try to go in March.
So, I'll take your word on it.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:02 am

It's MORE than worth trying to see them, believe me, you'll remember it forever :)

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Killiney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:04 am

I will definitely try to go, but I don't have a lot of money, I'm a student, and I only get EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance), but, I think I can make it.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby A_S » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:32 pm

Discussions like this are way too much fun to stay out of!

I've always thought that Of This Land was a look back at the history of Ireland from the Stone Age (Together they closed in the circles we know, so refers to stone circles) to the present, reflecting on the legacy of the place (which had really bright moments, as stated in How the Irish Saved Civilzation) and hoping for a future equally as promising. It seems that it does refer largely to the conflict in Northern Ireland, but not in a specific sense, as in relating to one event, but rather the larger issue at hand, which is the rift between inhabitants of the same land. So "Will the flowers grow again as I open out my hand?" might mean "will we restore the blooming glory of past eras?" and the opening hand may be the speaker's attempt to help. There's no assurance that the same can be achieved again, hence the questioning nature of the statement. I'd again like to point to "Together they closed in the circles we know." Together seems to be the key word there. The sense of unity is what they've lost and are seeking.

Just my ideas. Feel free to disagree. In fact, I'd prefer if you did! Keeps the discussion going!
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Paul K. » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:45 pm

I absolutely love this song! Landmarks is my favourite album (along with Lore) and I still hope Moya will play this song during the concerts.
Paul K.
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Killiney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:03 pm

A_S, I am intriged by your interpretation of 'Of This Land', in some ways, I agree. I think the flowers are the people, the society of Ireland, and how they have fallen apart by conflicts and other atrocities. Perhaps, Máire thinks that the bonds will remain broken, I think the question 'Will the flowers grow again as I open out my hand?' is rhetorrical, she knows the answer, and I think it is a no.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:28 pm

I think AS is right too - beautiful bit of interpretation there!
I'm not sure I agree that the answer to 'will the flowers grow again' is a 'no' though...I'm not entirely sure she's looking for an answer, maybe it's just a matter of injecting hope into the lyrics? Maybe it's a sense of Ireland awakening into a new era, as in fact it has in these last 10 years - remember when the song was written after all :)

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Killiney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:45 pm

There are many theories behind the song, but I stick to the one I posted before Grania started to reply.

To me, that seems more likely. Well, thats my personal opinion.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:36 pm

One way to settle this - we'll have to ask Moya :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Killiney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:46 pm

Great idea :D

*trots off in search of Máire*
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Clannad