One thing I learnt today

Got a forum-game you'd like to play or a story you'd like to create or share? This is the place for it! Please do check to make sure we're not already playing the game you have in mind before starting a new thread for it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Turlough » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:47 pm

dids wrote:the Moon has an influence on Earth's rotation, as I've read there: http://www.nineplanets.org/luna.html
Also seen that in a documentary called Superscience, in the episode about the Moon

That makes more sense. The cause/effect relationship is the other way around, though: the Earth is accelerating the Moon through tidal drag, resulting in days increasing in length by 15 microseconds a year from the Earth's consequent loss of momentum. The Moon's increasing distance is a result of the momentum it it getting from this.

That's a great astronomy book online you've found. I wonder if there is a good one in printed form. :?:
Last edited by Turlough on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:25 pm

Thanks for explaining Turlough
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:26 am

Something I learnt last night.....

How many of you were aware that in English we have a word 'defenestrate', which means, 'To throw someone out of a window'?
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:47 am

Seriously?!

Hmmm. Looking at the word, it does make sense :D I see the French 'fenetre' in the word lol which means window :lol:

I'm so gonna have to use that word lol
Behind the innocent,

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:58 am

the french word 'défenestrer' means exactly that! the english word is based on the french...
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Killiney » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:13 am

I thought there was a circumflex on the E instead of the following S?
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:42 pm

it is the case in the word 'fenêtre', but not in 'défenestrer'... Don't know why :?
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids

Postby Killiney » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:45 pm

Me neither. When I was doing GCSE French, I learnt that in most cases, there's a circumflex on the E instead of the following S :?
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:22 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was once told that a circumflex meant that an 's' had been left out, and that the 's' is not pronounced anyway.

For example, the word 'hotel' in French has a circumflex over the 'e', signifying that an 's' had been left out ==> 'hostel'.

This would mean that the two words 'hotel' and 'hostel' have the same root, which makes sense.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:27 pm

Exactly right Angus :D

What I meant was why is there an S in 'défenestrer' when there isn't one in 'fenêtre'? Maybe it has something to do with pronunciation?
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:08 pm

in fact it is because the word 'défenestrer' appeared in 20th century, and 'fenetre' (which originally was 'fenestre') exists since 11th century...

I'll find out more information on that, it is very interesting... 8)
dids

Postby Killiney » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:10 pm

I think I get you.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby eadgyth » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:54 am

I learned today that the brain of an ostrich is smaller than one of his eyes :shock:
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
eadgyth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Luned » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:31 pm

I have been reading an article about the Swedish, and it turns out that there is a word in Swedish, nja, which is a combination of nej ("no") and ja ("yes") - in one! - and it is used for polite refusals. How very diplomatic, isn't it? :D
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Eternal_Silence » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:06 pm

^ It is =P. How funny.

Angoid wrote:Something I learnt last night.....

How many of you were aware that in English we have a word 'defenestrate', which means, 'To throw someone out of a window'?

:lol: I'm going to have to remember that one. 'I'll defenestrate you!'

I learned today that if you're born without a sphenoid bone, you're born with a flat head :shock:. You can't live though..
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Stories