Do not post into this thread.....

Got a forum-game you'd like to play or a story you'd like to create or share? This is the place for it! Please do check to make sure we're not already playing the game you have in mind before starting a new thread for it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby jpanarese » Thu May 03, 2007 9:29 pm

Star Trek has handled the topic of Worm Holes on a number of occasions. I think Deep Space 9 was located "near one". It's a fascinating topic, especially since we don't know much about it.

Hey, how about we send Methica out there to find one? Our Form Space Explorer ... or is that Space Cadet? *grins wickedly*

John
That which we do in life echoes throughout eternity
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Ardens » Fri May 04, 2007 10:57 am

Does anyone know "The physics of Star Trek" by Lawrence M. Krauss? It's a really nice book, which combines the explanations of cosmic phenomenons with all the funny things that happen in the Star Trek universe.
I like this book very much, it's amusing and I even understood most of the things. :D
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Fri May 04, 2007 2:04 pm

John, why me. It seems that Angus is the expert so shouldn't be go to find such a black hole? If not, you can always go ;)
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Fri May 04, 2007 2:56 pm

It was Deep Space Nine - I must confess, the only Star Trek iteration I didn't really enjoy that much, although there were some interesting characters in it such as Odo.

The space station was situated near a wormhole, I think to guard it and monitor what went in and out. It was also unstable from what I remember as well.

It strimes me as though the physics of Star Trek is always just about fictional - theories mixed with known facts. I wonder if, for example, you could build such a device as a Heisenburg Compensator?

Hmmmm ... I'm uncertain :lol: anyone knows where Schrodinger's Cat is these days, and whether it's likely to be dead or alive?
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby jpanarese » Fri May 04, 2007 9:35 pm

Well, Methica, I figured that you have admitted to enjoy cleaning things up, there would be the Ultimate place to clean up. Besides, I have laundry, so I'm tied up and ... well ... I don't like worm holes much. The last time I entered one, I got really really sick and had to come back....

John
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Methica » Sat May 05, 2007 10:59 am

Maybe you need some Wormholetraning then... I'm pretty sure Angus can provide some trainingplaces ;)
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ardens » Sat May 05, 2007 1:11 pm

Is it possible that there are wormholes in the Shakey Apple Thing?

On the one hand this would be bad for the sound, but on the other hand it would be a big advantage for Moya. Travelling through the wormhole would make it possible to sing in Australia and travel back to Ireland on the same evening. Uncomfortable tour buses wouldn't be necessary any longer and fans could come through the wormholes, too.

Just imagine the situation on stage:"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm proud to announce Moya, who's currently still in Dublin and will arrive in a second...."

Swoosh! The SAT glows and suddenly Moya appears in an apple-shaped lightning. :lol:

Not even Madonna has such cool special effects. :mrgreen:
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sat May 05, 2007 2:04 pm

Ardens wrote:Not even Madonna has such cool special effects. :mrgreen:

Never mind madonna- that sounds more like harry potter :lol:
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby jpanarese » Sat May 05, 2007 5:17 pm

Well, Methica, unfortunately it just so happens that my doctor has advised me to stay away from exploding posts, imploding posts, polar bears, fake fruit, paper airplanes, Hawaiian shirts, Ness, black holes, man holes, sinkholes, worm holes and any other vortex-type fields, along with a few dozen other odds and ends ... sorry about that. I'm afraid that you must be our forum representative to make sure it's safe for Moya to use for concert travel....

John
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Methica » Mon May 07, 2007 2:15 pm

Maybe you should get a new doctor then? We might even want to throw in a probe first, to see where we're going then... If the probe survives the journey ofcourse...
If not, then we'll throw in tons of water,,, Who know it might end on another planet, giving it the chance to create life!! :|
But what if it turns out that the life we kind off created is an evil rase, that wants us to be their slaves... :|

You know what, we'll stay awya from any kind of vortex, especially one that suck...
Actually, your doctor is smart... ;)
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Mon May 07, 2007 3:58 pm

jpanarese wrote:it just so happens that my doctor has advised me to stay away from... Ness

I'm a public health hazard now, am I?? :lol:
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby jpanarese » Mon May 07, 2007 9:36 pm

Now, that we have established that it's not a good idea to send me into any worm holes, I am still placing my vote with Methica! *grin*

Hmm. Nessieq .... how did ... hmm ... Maybe, my doctor meant ,Nessesalopuses or something like that. Or, Nesssles bars or some other Ness word? I'll have to consult my doctor again....

John
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Methica » Tue May 08, 2007 12:16 pm

I ain't going, know that!! How about ignoring any wormhole, unless they are threatening Earth...
Hmmm,, I vote for John... 8)
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ardens » Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 am

Methica wrote:I ain't going, know that!! How about ignoring any wormhole, unless they are threatening Earth...
Hmmm,, I vote for John... 8)

Ok, let's ignore the wormholes. As long as they aren't in the apple I'm going to eat... :wink:

I see that you have already restored the order of our universe. Well done!
Now, that I stop worrying about holes, I have finally time to wonder whether Enya's music fits the string theory. It's difficult enough to find out whether there are real strings, synth strings or both, but the additional element of strings by Wired Strings makes the whole thing even more confusing. How can I find an equation that includes all of these factors as well as e.g. gravity and energy??? That's much too complicated for my small brain. :|
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby jpanarese » Wed May 09, 2007 10:39 pm

Hmm. Now, I thought it was established that sending me into worm holes was a bad idea? My doctor actually said that the best thing to do was send two Methicas and call him in the morning.

Now, please, Ardens, don't add strings to the equation? Implosions, explosions .... no one knows what adding string theory or postulations or the like will cause to happen to the universe. The forum itself could very well collapse within itself and form a black hole that sucks all the other forums in the universe into it ... Not that there isn't a few out there that would be best served by this, but still ....

John
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Stories