Let's organise a meeting!

Have you been there? Are you going? Share your experience

Moderators: gregoing, mise, Grania, All Moderators

When would you like the gathering to take place?

July
24%
August
40%
Either July or August
36%

Total votes : 25

Postby nessieq » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:54 pm

admin wrote:Still, there might be a few surprises.
And we'll get Bartley Brennan to organise something special in Leo's..

I think we should al give admin a ginormous hug for his fantabulous help and hinters, don't you, guys? :lol: :wink:
((((((((admin)))))))))
who knows, we might have a few surprises in store ourselves, huh? :lol:
I am definately going- there's no way I can miss this now, not with Ms Brennan herself telling us the best spots! Consider me in!

admin: can you recomend any decent campsites in the area, preferably with mains electricity but if not, I'm aware we're talking about a remote area of Donegal and I'll take whatever you can recomend. Any advice would be much apprechaited.
:?:
*gets excited*
n.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby mise » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:14 am

Did you try sleepy hollow Nessie?

http://homepage.eircom.net/~sleepyhollows/

I know there is a caravan park nearby too but I can't find any phonenumber anywhere.
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby nessieq » Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:25 pm

Sounds great, Mise and only 200m from Leo's itself- I think this is a goer, but it looks pretty small so I might not have luck getting a place... Do you know the name of the other one? And by "caravan park" do you mean no tents? (not even trailer tents? :lol: )
Sorry, folks, I'm a die hard camper I'm afriad :D :shock:
n.
nessieq

Postby lizzy1e » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:35 am

I know this isn't exactly about Donegal itself, but does anyone know of any good accommodation in Dublin and Galway? I'm struggling a bit with deciding from what I read online - I can't exactly afford 5 star hotels or anything like that. Just a decent hostel, b&b or maybe moderately priced hotel. I'd really appreciate any advice! :o
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby the whistleplayer » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:05 am

Liz,

there are quite a few hostels in Dublin. I wouldn't recommend Jacob's Inn (near Connolly station) though.. it's a very depressing place... I was there last summer after two wonderful weeks in Gweedore and it really was an anticlimax. The hostel is huge, and it looks like a military 'station' (dunno the word, in Dutch it's 'kazerne' :mrgreen: ) or even a prison.
Litton Lane hostel (very close to O'Connellstreet) is alright I think, but Mise had some booking problems with that one a few years ago. There's another one that looks quite nice, but I forgot the name of it. It's in Temple Bar. Something with 'castle' in it if I remember correctly :?
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby lizzy1e » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:12 am

O'Connell Street would be ideal because of the bus tour I'm hoping to take. But there is one called Avalon House www.avalon-house.ie that looks nice too, only it seems far off. Confusing :oops: But thanks, I'll look into those you mentioned.
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:17 am

It is always difficult to find good hostels to stay in. They are usually not even close to what they seem to be on the internet, at least not from the comfortable point of view. If you can afford a B&B I would most certainly advice that, though accomodation in Dublin is pricy no matter what way you look at it.
mise

Postby nessieq » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:02 pm

lizzy1e wrote:the bus tour I'm hoping to take.

I went on that years ago on one of my first trips to dubin, t'was fab, and a great way to see the city! You'll enjoy that I'm sure, Liz.
:lol:
ness.
nessieq

Postby richard » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:19 pm

I CANNOT WAIT TO GO TO THE POISON GLEN AND TO CLIMB MOUNT ERRIGAL. IT IS GOING TO BE A HOOT AND A HALF WITH U CRAZY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Richard.
richard
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby lizzy1e » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:28 pm

richard wrote:I CANNOT WAIT TO GO TO THE POISON GLEN AND TO CLIMB MOUNT ERRIGAL. IT IS GOING TO BE A HOOT AND A HALF WITH U CRAZY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you so mad about Poison Glen and Mount Errigal in particular? I don't know much about them maybe you guys can describe them a little - Richard sure seems to be looking foward to those two. :?: :)
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:23 pm

Well, I've also been going mad about the Poison Glen in particular- for the simple reason that i LOVE the song Clannad did about it, and I just can't wait to go see the place so many enya/clannad videos were shot (has moya herself done any solo there? I've never seen any moya solo videos :cry: ) and it has become my ambition to get a photo of myself under the famous tree that they all seem to love wondering about... I think it's just gunna be so cool... 8)
"waaaaaaay up there in the poison glen... the sun's going down o'er the misty mountain,.... and I'm watching... and wondering... feeling something of long ago......"
I know them off by heart :lol: You've got me singing it now, Liz...
ness.
nessieq

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:07 am

I love the song too. So many artists have shot videos or sung about Poison Glen. Clannad/Máire have sung about them, Aoife Ní Fhearraigh was on TV singing 'Caidé Sin D'on Té Sin' there and Altan are obsessed by it (can't blame them).
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:23 am

nessieq wrote:it has become my ambition to get a photo of myself under the famous tree that they all seem to love wondering about... I think it's just gunna be so cool... 8)

Oh Ness. you don't mean that dead tree by the ruined church do you? That one is long gone I am afraid. It was dead when the video was shot and didn't survive, though it lay there a good while.
mise

Postby lizzy1e » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:17 am

Well, I can't wait to see all of this... pity about the dead tree though. I've never really seen any of the music videos with these things in... unlesss "How Can I Keep From Singing" by Enya was done there or something. I remember something with her wandering around near a church. Too lazy to check right now :mrgreen:

Too me the fact that Ireland is green is already a major novelty lol
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:34 am

mise wrote:Oh Ness. you don't mean that dead tree by the ruined church do you? That one is long gone I am afraid. It was dead when the video was shot and didn't survive, though it lay there a good while.

oh MAN, yes I did mean that tree! :cry: Poo. Well, I'll just have to find me a new tree to get a photo taken under. Such a shame though.
OPh well, c'est la vie.
n.
nessieq

PreviousNext

Return to Leos Tavern