Let's organise a meeting!

Have you been there? Are you going? Share your experience

Moderators: gregoing, mise, Grania, All Moderators

When would you like the gathering to take place?

July
24%
August
40%
Either July or August
36%

Total votes : 25

Postby nessieq » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:57 pm

Ach, mise, who acn stop ya dreamin, eh?
So guys, with my likelyhood of coming to Donegal close to becoming reality, I was talking to my parents and they were saying it's doubtfl I'll be there for the whole 7 days, probably only 4 or 5 tops, and I was wondering which you lot think will be the best ones? Which days could I definately not miss? I really want to see Leos, of course, and Errigal, and the poison glen but i don't know if we ever decided on actual days for those, did we?
Maybe I'm wrong, I know I have a head like a seive...
Tell me what you think.
N.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby lizzy1e » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:57 pm

Ooh! I do hope you can make it Nessie. It would be great being able to meet everyone. :D Not sure about actual dates myself, I read something about Leo's on the 25th, but I'm not sure.

I'm really looking forward to this, I can't get over seeing Ireland becoming a reality after all these years!!!
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:30 am

Well surely we can change things around a bit to accomodate all people :D
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Angoid » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:19 am

I'd be able to do a week .... 23rd July to 30th July. That seems to be when most people are around.

Could someone post a list of B&B places, and then we can know where to book into. What about the nearest airport / ferry port, etc?

I know I've done holidays before where people have stayed all over the place, and meeting up in the mornings with people from other accommodations, etc. can be a real nightmare, and a brilliant time-waster.

Also: taxis, buses, trains. etc from where we arrive in Ireland to the accommodation.

I think that week should be OK from a work point of view (they very nearly kiboshed a trip to China last year), so I can easily go ahead and book the time off work.

Is this worth looking at, for example?
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby nessieq » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:44 pm

Nearest Airport is probably in Derry, Eglington if i remember the name correctly, a simple google search shuld bring up a few details foer you, Agus, and it's not as far a drive to donegal from there if you're renting a car or whatever. If you are going to book with them, Il'l warn you, it's quite a small airport and so flightrs are limited- uou may have problems getting the correct dates and stuff... Nearest Ferry from England is probably Belfast, though you're looking at qwer drive on the other side, though this seems a popular route with the others- I know most people are either flying or sailing to Belfast and making their way from there...
Let me know if i could look anything up for you on this end.
ness.
PS- you said about a B&B, Brid still runs a B&B in Gweedore does she not? maybe I'm getting confused, but I thought that's what I read...
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby richard » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:34 pm

angus rob gave me this web site for accomodation http://www.teac-campbell.com
Richard.
richard
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby richard » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:31 pm

who is up for climbing mount errigal?. i cannot wait to try it, i doubt i'll make it to the top but will give it a go
Richard.
richard

Postby Roibeard Óg » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:27 pm

Of coarse you'll make it to the top :) . Muckish is harder as it's rockier.
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:35 am

This is obviously a bit late to be helping out as the wheels of motion have the organisation going already but if we can be of any help here we'd love to make your visit the most enjoyable.
Transport: I didn't see if any mentioned but there are two flights a day into Carrickfin airport, about 20 minutes from Leo's/Gweedore, etc. with Aer Aran from Dublin and Glasgow http://www.aerarann.ie/.
See also http://www.donegalairport.ie
Cars can be hired at the airport. There's usually taxis around or available night and day for those without transport. We can supply taxi numbers.
There's a great bus that goes from Dublin, Parnell Square right to Gweedore. Best bet if you're coming from south and haven't got any other transport. John McGinley Coaches +35374-9135201 Cant' find their website but there's a few timeables on the web.This might be useful http://www.crannog.ie/loistin.htm
If you would like we can look into B&Bs in the area - there's loads but maybe could point you in the right direction (like across the road from Leos!)
How serious are you about Irish classes? Do you need info? Most of the schools would be booked by now but we could look into arranging a few lessons? Numbers needed.
I'm sure Moya might be able to advise on places to visit although some of you obviously know your way around. Still, there might be a few surprises.
And we'll get Bartley Brennan to organise something special in Leo's. 25th sounds good as its a monday right and you should be able to make some room for yourselves. BTW the food in Leos is now the best in the area.
Anyway, there's a few ideas and we'll keep a look out for your requirements in the coming days and weeks.

Postby AndyPandy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:56 am

Well this started off as just a holiday to Ireland when I started to plan it last year, now its turning into something a whole lot more fun! :mrgreen:

Thanks Admin! 8)
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:39 pm

Admin you're a darling :D Wouldn't it be great if you could help organising us a bit better. We are working really hard on this one and so far so good, but time is ticking and there is just soooooo much to do. So I have rolled up my sleeves. Who else is helping?!
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Roibeard Óg » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:23 pm

I'll be there, and I can help. I'm having my friends int Donegal see what's on.
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby AndyPandy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:17 pm

Well i'm happy to help but I don't know HOW to help. :?
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby the whistleplayer » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:31 pm

Wow...this is amazing... pity I'm not going to be there... :cry:
(Unless I suddenly turn out to have a very rich uncle...) Actually this is the first time I'm not in Ireland during summer since 2000...

The reason for me not coming is that I still haven't found a more or less permanent job, and that I used my savings today to buy a WONDERFUL new violin :D which I will enjoy for the rest of my life. So Máire the First is replaced by Máire the Second. :mrgreen:
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer

Postby lizzy1e » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:19 pm

Oh this is fabulous!! :mrgreen: Now I'm looking forward to the trip even more. This will be such a lovely holiday *does ridiculous little happy dance*.
3 Months to go - most of my own transport is organised - just a few odds and ends. :mrgreen:
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Leos Tavern