Gweedore trip

Have you been there? Are you going? Share your experience

Moderators: gregoing, mise, Grania, All Moderators

Postby dids » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:19 am

nice pics Simi!

I am wondering if autumn is a good period to visit Ireland... Any advice about this?
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Simi » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:48 pm

dids wrote:nice pics Simi!

I am wondering if autumn is a good period to visit Ireland... Any advice about this?

Yes Dids, I would say Ireland in autumn is amazing. We visited the east coast / Wickelow Mountains in the last week of October 2005 and we had beautiful sunny (and dry) days. Of course, the further you go to the north in this season the more unsteady can the weather be.
Just a few pics to show you how great it was there in autumn:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000106.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000085.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000083.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000265.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000337.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000198.jpg
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/Simi_04/P1000263.jpg

Really worth to go!
Of what benefit would it be to me if Christ had been born a thousand times, and it would daily be sung into my ears in a most lovely manner, if I were never to hear that he was born for me and was to be my very own? (Martin Luther)
Simi
Enthusiastic Member

Postby dids » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Simi wrote:
dids wrote:nice pics Simi!

Yes Dids, I would say Ireland in autumn is amazing. We visited the east coast / Wickelow Mountains in the last week of October 2005 and we had beautiful sunny (and dry) days. Of course, the further you go to the north in this season the more unsteady can the weather be.

Really worth to go!

Thanks for the pics simi!

I was thinking about Donegal... Seems I should go in the south... The Connemara may also be beautiful in autumn... I am looking for a solution for about mid-october...
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids

Postby nessieq » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:42 pm

dids- if i were you i'd look for a bus tour. ireland is massive and with so many GORGEOUS places to see, it's well worth letting someone else do the driving and planning all the places to go while you sit back and enjoy them! i agree with wicklow and donegal being fantastic, and i'd add kerry to that if you have time - but those are three different corners of ireland! you'd be hard pressed to see them all. hence i recomend a bus tour. might be an option worth looking into. and of course- make sure you stop at leo's! the only bad thing to be said about autumn is that it'll be very cold and wet for a lot of the time so if you're hoping to be doing a lot of outdoor activities and mind getting wet it might not be the most pleasant experience.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby dids » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:51 pm

In fact Nessie I have many options, I would like to find one with a week in one place - Donegal - or a car tour. As it will be my first trip, I am meditating on some solutions...

One thing is sure, I will not have only one trip to Ireland... :D
dids

Postby nessieq » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:26 am

Hmmm, well, car rental is a good idea if you're going to be in gweedore for a week- i would have thought it essential but i know joanna and christina will argue otherwise as they used buses and hitch hiking to get about, and harm will tell you that you can survive on taxis if you wish! There are loads of different options- i think it probably depends on whether or not it's jsut you traveling and on what you want to do when you get there. You can get buses from belfast or dublin to gweedore if you need them, as those would probably be the places you'dbe flying into.
nessieq

Postby Lady Ryu » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:01 pm

Harm and I went all around with taxis. we wanted to hire bicycles, but it was to early in the season, or better no season at all.
i swear, now that i can drive, i'll take a rental car next year! you're more free in your mouvements and you can go whereever and whenever you like. of course than you have to take care if you're allowed to drink or not. because i never drink when i drive.
(Forget the slogan "1 drink is ok, but 2 sucks." what if something happens and you had 1 drink?)
Matteo - always in my heart

Never ever I wished so much that heaven truly exists, and that you are waiting there for me.
Lady Ryu
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:05 pm

As it's your first tour, if you can afford it, I would recommend car hire too. It means you don't have to depend on others to get to all those wonderful places. And if you feel adventures you could get on to the really tiny roads that give you that little taste of the 'old Ireland'.
On the downside of that is ofcourse that you don't get to talk to the locals as much to find out more about the place, but depending on where you stay I am sure it's not a huge problem. :D
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Siobhan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:48 pm

It can be done by hitchhiking and bus, or by taxi - but if you want truly to be independent, car rental is truly the best option.

Ok, boys and girls, but we`re discussing the details here, and what about those loads of photos hidden somwehere in the depths of your computers? :mrgreen:
And so - this is where I should be now
Days and nights falling by...
Siobhan
Addicted to Moya

Postby Hester » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:22 pm

mise wrote:As it's your first tour, if you can afford it, I would recommend car hire too. It means you don't have to depend on others to get to all those wonderful places. And if you feel adventures you could get on to the really tiny roads that give you that little taste of the 'old Ireland'.
On the downside of that is ofcourse that you don't get to talk to the locals as much to find out more about the place, but depending on where you stay I am sure it's not a huge problem. :D

and I recommend going with someone who's been there before and who knows the place like she knows her own pocket! :wink: :D (that is an english expression as well right?! Cause I've learned that not every expression can be translated from Dutch into English, especially certain expressions about piggies :lol: )
We had an excellent guide this past week, many thanks Annemiek!
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby koseklumpen » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:14 pm

Hester wrote:
mise wrote:As it's your first tour, if you can afford it, I would recommend car hire too. It means you don't have to depend on others to get to all those wonderful places. And if you feel adventures you could get on to the really tiny roads that give you that little taste of the 'old Ireland'.

and I recommend going with someone who's been there before and who knows the place like she knows her own pocket! :wink: :D (that is an english expression as well right?! Cause I've learned that not every expression can be translated from Dutch into English, especially certain expressions about piggies :lol: )
We had an excellent guide this past week, many thanks Annemiek!

I think the expression is something like knowing the area like the back of your hands if I remember correctly. Anyway, you're right there! it's very nice to go to places with people who can tell you a bit about the different places! That's definitly a nice way to travel! Thanks from my side as well, Annemiek! :)
Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
koseklumpen

Postby mise » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:39 pm

:oops: Thank you so much. I have to say, it has been my pleasure. I love that area so much that I am only too happy to show people around. Soooooo, if anyone wants to hire a tourguide, lol, you know where I am!
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby dids » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:28 pm

precisely, Mise... :D what's your salary? :wink:

I have found a pretty nice touring company which offers different solutions and has been recommended to me by my colleague... Unfortunately, they don't offer any stay in Donegal (so I will wait for the next fans gathering).... :wink:
Anyway, I will try one of their proposals...
dids

Postby nessieq » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:58 pm

koseklumpen wrote:[ Thanks from my side as well, Annemiek! :)

and mine! Twice over :mrgreen:
nessieq

Re: Our trip to Donegal!

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:55 pm

martijn wrote:We were in Ireland the first week of July and had a great time! The weather was good (if you like a lot of rain) and we had some great walks and drives in the beautiful Donegal county.

Out trip was a bit Moya-oriented:
- we stayed the first night in Auntie Brid's B&B:
* a very nice lady!
- we stayed for the next 5 nights in a cottage across the road from Leo's Tavern:
* check the last picture!
- we spend 3 evenings in Leo's Tavern:
* Saturday with Sing-a-Long with Leo
* Wednesday with the Duggans
* Thursday with traditional session
- we listened to a lot of Moya's music

You can see a selection of our pictures on Picasa-web, click on this link:
Donegal Trip 2007

Martijn,I've spotted your name in the guestbook of the cottage,it's great to be so close to Leo's ( especially after a night with the locals :lol: ).Great pictures by the way,I still have to put mine up,but work is asking much of my time at the moment.
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Leos Tavern