Page 4 of 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:25 pm
by nessieq
Ancient_Snowfall wrote:Yes, that makes perfect sense. As far as the going to Gweedore bit goes, Moya herself has said many times how much that can improve one's understanding of the music. (She says it in an interview that was posted recently in the concerts, clips, and interviews thread in General, and I know I've heard it other places. She said it to me herself when I met her, too.) It makes sense that the same should go for the book. (And also, reading the book can help you understand the music, too. Guess it's all a big circle. Like you said, the more you know, the more you can understand and the more real it all feels.)

I actually went to Gweedore before first reading the book. I had wanted to get it ahead of time but that didn't happen. It turned out that I got my copy a month after getting home from Ireland, so on my very first reading, I had all those images in my head. I think that it did enhance the experience, but I have nothing to compare it to, since I never read the book without having previously been up Errigal or to Bunbeg. So for me, it was meeting Moya that changed my interpretation more than going to all of those places.

And, to answer the question the whole topic is based on, I've read it twice so far, but I know I'll read it more.


Ah- it seems you had a similar experience to mine, only the other way around :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:21 pm
by A_S
nessieq wrote:Ah- it seems you had a similar experience to mine, only the other way around :lol:

:lol: Well, it was a nice experience either way! :lol:

What I would really have liked to have done (for the purposes of this discussion) is to have read the book before going to Gweedore AND meeting Moya. That way I would be able to more accurately examine the effects of those experiences. There anyone out there who's done that?

And isn't this starting to sound rather like a paper one would write for school? "Describe how your interpretation of The Other Side of the Rainbow has been altered by your Moya-related experiences. Be sure to support your argument with examples from the text and your own experiences." :lol: :P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:46 am
by MáireRhiannon
A_S wrote:And isn't this starting to sound rather like a paper one would write for school? "Describe how your interpretation of The Other Side of the Rainbow has been altered by your Moya-related experiences. Be sure to support your argument with examples from the text and your own experiences." :lol: :P


yes it is begining to sound like a paper for literature class. my teacher would freak out :shock: though because you didn't italicize (<- spelling?) the book title - lol! :roll: :) I haven't had the chance to read the book yet, but my mom said we can order it from amazon uk since it was never published, here, in the usa.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:23 am
by A_S
MáireRhiannon wrote:
A_S wrote:And isn't this starting to sound rather like a paper one would write for school? "Describe how your interpretation of The Other Side of the Rainbow has been altered by your Moya-related experiences. Be sure to support your argument with examples from the text and your own experiences." :lol: :P


yes it is begining to sound like a paper for literature class. my teacher would freak out :shock: though because you didn't italicize (<- spelling?) the book title - lol! :roll: :) I haven't had the chance to read the book yet, but my mom said we can order it from amazon uk since it was never published, here, in the usa.

:shock: How could I have overlooked that absolutely crucial detail! :lol: I hope that you do manage to get the book. I am also American and got the book though Amazon.uk a couple years ago. It worked well and I thought it was very much worth it. And then if you ever happen to have a free choice for an English paper and need a topic... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:01 am
by MáireRhiannon
A_S wrote:
MáireRhiannon wrote:
A_S wrote:And isn't this starting to sound rather like a paper one would write for school? "Describe how your interpretation of The Other Side of the Rainbow has been altered by your Moya-related experiences. Be sure to support your argument with examples from the text and your own experiences." :lol: :P


yes it is begining to sound like a paper for literature class. my teacher would freak out :shock: though because you didn't italicize (<- spelling?) the book title - lol! :roll: :) I haven't had the chance to read the book yet, but my mom said we can order it from amazon uk since it was never published, here, in the usa.

:shock: How could I have overlooked that absolutely crucial detail! :lol: I hope that you do manage to get the book. I am also American and got the book though Amazon.uk a couple years ago. It worked well and I thought it was very much worth it. And then if you ever happen to have a free choice for an English paper and need a topic... :lol:


the only thing we ever have had a free choice with was our college essays - apparently the school thought that we would not do them on our own, so we had to do that as homework and then revise and revise again...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:06 pm
by A_S
MáireRhiannon wrote:the only thing we ever have had a free choice with was our college essays - apparently the school thought that we would not do them on our own, so we had to do that as homework and then revise and revise again...

We do that with college essays at my school, too. I'm not sure what I think of the policy, because part of the point of writing a personal essay is making it yours, a raw reflection of who you are and how you think. I sort of feel like having to do it for a grade takes away a bit of that. I mean, of course it's going to be somewhat about pleasing the admissions counselors, but if it's written for class you also have to get it past your English teacher. :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:09 am
by MáireRhiannon
A_S wrote:
MáireRhiannon wrote:the only thing we ever have had a free choice with was our college essays - apparently the school thought that we would not do them on our own, so we had to do that as homework and then revise and revise again...

We do that with college essays at my school, too. I'm not sure what I think of the policy, because part of the point of writing a personal essay is making it yours, a raw reflection of who you are and how you think. I sort of feel like having to do it for a grade takes away a bit of that. I mean, of course it's going to be somewhat about pleasing the admissions counselors, but if it's written for class you also have to get it past your English teacher. :?


really we only got graded for having it compete and in on time (if you did that then 10/10), the reviewing was interesting, because we did a 'college essay review circle' where we'd read each others then comment and pass to left or right. I did mine on my most challenging moment as a visually impaired person adventuring in New Zealand ~ it involved an hour and a half hike up and down muddy stairs and steep hills just to be able to repell (or abseil) down a 100ft (around 30m) then the walk back...
my mom said we can order the book this weekend from amazon.uk since she's finally got time off...yay!! :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:44 pm
by hermeyjdi
I have only read the book once. I love it though. I just have too many books these days to read to read it more than once but hopefully I will get a chance to again soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:57 pm
by Turlough
About a year ago I finished The Other Side of the Rainbow for the first time. Now I'm in the middle of a second reading, and have reached the part where she starts seeing Tim.

For those (few?) fans of MEA, to me the next-last MEA tune "Dream On" is like an exact opposite to "Almost Seems", biographically speaking. It's like Maire is looking back on the times when she believed she didn't deserve happiness.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:13 pm
by Luned
A_S wrote:Before I got the book, I had read all of the comments here about how amazing and life-changing it was. When I ordered it, I had pretty much built it up in my mind to be... well, a life-changing thing. I was almost surprised to see how small it was. I really don't know what I'd been expecting... :lol: Some giant volume a meter long and just as wide?

Something like that happened to me, actually, though in a somewhat different order :lol: Funny as it may seem, one of the places I discovered when I started studying at uni were language bookstores. One day I went to such a bookstore and among other amazing books I found there was The Other Side of the Rainbow - there it was, on one of the top shelves, hardback, blue and really big :lol:, with the photo of Moya on its cover. I had read about this book on the Internet before, but reading about it and actually seeing it as a real thing were quite two different things. So I looked through the photos inside and put it back on the shelf, considering it too expensive for me. I didn't think about this book for some time, and it was only after I read some of the reviews here on the forum that I started to get interested in the book once again. It was different this time, as I had already ordered some books from abroad via another language bookstore, getting hold of this particular book was no longer so out of reach to me. And this time, when I got it, I was also rather surprised at finding it so small :lol: I had known some of the parts that may be considered shocking from some articles and interviews with Moya, so I didn't expect the book to surprise me that much, but in fact, it did, in a very positive sense :) I read the book once, about a year and a half ago, and I'm still going to read it once again... some time :) But for now, it is there on my shelf, close at hand, my treasure! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:53 pm
by hermeyjdi
Luned that is awesome!! I have a paper back copy of the book. Moya signed it for me when I was in Holland. I wish I could find a good hard back version. I know I could order it online. One of these days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:13 pm
by Luned
hermeyjdi wrote:Luned that is awesome!! I have a paper back copy of the book. Moya signed it for me when I was in Holland. I wish I could find a good hard back version. I know I could order it online. One of these days.

Thank you :) The one I got in the end is also a paperback edition, but the hardback one is really weighty, and, as far as I rememeber (I saw it in 2001), of A4 format. But I think that no copy, be it big or small, can be compared to one signed by Moya! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:21 pm
by A_S
:lol: I have the paperback as well. Maybe that's why I thought it seemed so small! Nice story, Luned!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:27 pm
by hermeyjdi
Luned wrote:
hermeyjdi wrote:Luned that is awesome!! I have a paper back copy of the book. Moya signed it for me when I was in Holland. I wish I could find a good hard back version. I know I could order it online. One of these days.

Thank you :) The one I got in the end is also a paperback edition, but the hardback one is really weighty, and, as far as I rememeber (I saw it in 2001), of A4 format. But I think that no copy, be it big or small, can be compared to one signed by Moya! :D


Totally and it is the updated version where I am sure that the hard back copy is not the updated version!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:12 pm
by Macha
Luned wrote:Thank you :) The one I got in the end is also a paperback edition, but the hardback one is really weighty, and, as far as I rememeber (I saw it in 2001), of A4 format. But I think that no copy, be it big or small, can be compared to one signed by Moya! :D


Yes, Luned, you're totally right! :) When I went to Stuttgart last November to see Moya live, I took her book with me and got it signed after the concert. Now I have a "Special Version" of Moya's book! :wink: