Moderators: nessieq, gregoing, Grania, Daragh, All Moderators

Does Moya Share Too Much?

Yes
5%
No
95%

Total votes : 76

Postby A_S » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:53 pm

Roibeard Óg wrote:Since I first read the book a few years back when I joined this forum, I've changed.

That fact, quite simply, is one of the best things about this forum. The members here stay around long enough to change and grow. This is especially true for the many of us are in our teens and 20s, a time at which a lot can change in a few years. Because everyone is sort of "growing up" with Moya's music and life story, we all develop new perspectives as the years go on. That's why it is important to keep threads like this active. Even though many of the long-standing members have weighed in before, there are always fresh perspectives to be heard because we are all changing. So thanks for bringing this up again!

And I love what Phantas said:
Phantas wrote:Luckily, Moya found Tim through it all and eventually was able to put her demons to rest - by simply looking in the mirror and feeling - yes, it's part of my life. I have done it, I'm not proud but I do not need to hide it.

I think that that idea is a really important message to come away with from the book. What's past is past, and it can't be changed, but you can make the best of it. Key example: Look how much good Moya's done by sharing some of her worst moments! I don't think that she shares too much, because everything she shares serves a purpose in developing her personality in the book and in making her the woman she is now. And all of it can serve as an inspiration to her readers. Reading that book, you can't help but think, "If Moya could get through all of that, I can certainly get through whatever trivial (or not so trivial) thing is bothering me today!"
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby dids » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:27 pm

I could never agree more, A_S... I will be 34 on 9th of august and I can see every day that I still continue to grow up, at a lower rythm than when I was teenager, of course. This just leaves more time to assimilate well what you just learned, time to mature...
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids

Postby eadgyth » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Wow, I guess Phantas has put it perfectly. We all go through darker times, do and say things we wish to forget, but the harder you try to hide and forget your past, the harder it will come back at you.

Ever since I first read the book right after it was published, my respect for Moya has only grown. To me, it is one of the most influentous books I ever read.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
eadgyth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Macha » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:21 pm

@ A_S: I totally agree with you. You're right, whatever bad happened in one's life; past is past and we should try to do the best about it (as for me: sometimes I have problems to forget the bad things that happened to me in the past - but now I try to face on the good things :wink: ).
@ Phantas: well said! I could never have said that better.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:36 pm

Stop it, you're making me blush! :lol: :lol:

Thanks!

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:14 am

We can only learn from the mistakes we make in our lives... 8)
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

T.O.S.O.T.R

Postby discotechno » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:51 pm

I posted my views on this book the other day on Enya's site, and joined up here to share my views, for what they're worth, with Moya's fans.

Firstly, in relation to the original topic - does she share too much? No, not at all. She made a decision not to present a safe, sanitized version of her life which creates this poignant contrast between her life before meeting Tim and afterwards. There is also an implicit suggestion in the 'earlier' half of her life that perhaps there was a good deal more sex and drugs than she was really prepared to state in her biography. This is understandable - and Moya is entitled to secrets - baring her soul too much in such a public way, might have serious psychological implications - not just for herself but also her young family. She was beyond brave in writing this book.

She has been more honest than a lot people who have written biographies - and the reader is grateful for this frankness. We don't think less of her for sharing her life - Moya comes out on trumps - with her dignity perfectly intact.

I read 'The Other Side of the Rainbow' (Moya's biography) over the weekend and have to state on here that, for me, this is the best 'rock biography' I've ever read - and I've read quite a few, including Elvis, Abba, John Lennon etc.

I didn't buy the book as a Clannad or Moya fan but saw it as an alternative source for information about Enya, Nicky, Roma etc. It turns out there are few references to the 'Enya' trio here, but this did not stop me turning the pages of what can only be described as a 'vice like' grip on the narrative. It's an easy read, and I felt compelled to read it over two days.

Moya's story is nothing short of enlightening and instructive. Bravely and courageously (honesty and courage are qualities lacking in so many biographies - particularly of the 'rock' variety) she holds up her life to close scrutiny. Looking into the glass darkly we see the spectre of loneliness and despair hang over a woman who had (before marriage to Tim Jarvis): a large and close knit family, two wonderful supportive parents, chart success with Clannad, a BAFTA, an Emmy, many 'showbiz' friends; and yet for all the 'surface' trappings of success i.e the cocaine&champagne lifestyle, Moya felt profoundly bereft, isolated and sad - though the word depression is never used in the book. The reader can palpably imagine suicidal thoughts (if not an attempt), and we're left in no doubt about Moya's perceived sense of failure in all aspects of her life - even in the creative/songwriting department. It was interesting to note that her solo career only began after her second marriage to Tim; who comes across vividly as a pillar of support. And if anyone has given up on the idea of finding true love and personal happiness, then Moya's story offers real hope.

This is less a 'fairy tale' and more a tale of 'The Prodigal Daughter' who experiences true personal happiness after rediscovering her religious/spiritual and family roots. She doesn't preach or try to proselytize once in the book (too down to earth and realistic for that) but the reader is left in no doubt that faith and religious practice can turn someone's life around. Moya's life really was a vale of tears, and around the time she took up prayer and religious practice she was introduced to her husband Tim and went on to start a family at the relatively late age of 40 after experiencing a proper white wedding after her first disastrous marriage.

Her life up to this point could be summed by the phrase a 'beautiful paradox' - even Tim (then a photographer with the NME) doesn't seem to be her perfect match when we're first introduced to him - but never have I read a love story more convincing than Moya's and I was deeply touched reading about their honeymoon in India, where they went to discover the grave of Tim's father. Moya is such a fine specimen of humanity - deeply touched by the suffering of others.

She is warm, honest, and not remotely glib or superficial about her life - she wears her heart on her sleeve and the reader's life is enriched for reading this fascinating 'folk chic' story which is ultimately about the human condition and how everyone is touched by loneliness and deep rooted fears at some time or other. It may not be considered a work of high literary merit but as personal accounts go this is nothing short of rivetting - if it wasn't I wouldn't have read it so quickly.

The other readers of this book on Amazon have given it 5 stars - and that it truly deserves. Before I read this book I was expecting not to like Moya at all (suspecting, wrongly I guess, that she may not have been too sweet on kid sister Enya during their Clannad days) or at the very least expecting to read an insipid account of a faded early 80' 'pop star' (which it certainly isn't). Speaking of sibling rivalry, or lack there of, it was lovely to see the picture of Enya and Moya singing into the same mic at Leon's wedding!

If you're experiencing any unhappiness in your own life - I can't recommend this book highly enough.

For me personally, it has been hugely uplifting and mood enhancing during these cold, dark winter days.

God Bless Moya for sharing the darkness and the light in her life with her readers!
discotechno

Postby Susann » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Welcome to the forum, discotechno. To your review I can say only one word - BRAVO :D .
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Balor » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:01 pm

I thought it was cool that Maire admitted over-doing it with the religious conversion bit. New believers can be a bit of a pain.
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby kevinkells » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:16 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Moya's book discotechno! I read the book many years ago and couldn't put it down until I finished it.

Some of your thoughts on the book bought back memories to me, and the fact that she started a family relatively late in life is courageous indeed. It looks like a marriage that will truly last.
kevinkells

Postby Hester » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:47 am

kevinkells wrote: and the fact that she started a family relatively late in life is courageous indeed.
Courageous and encouraging
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby mermaid » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:02 pm

Got my copy signed by Moya when she played at Cardigan recently and I asked whether she will be writing another book...I hope so!

Moya writes from the heart :D and that what makes such a good read

Helen x
mermaid

Postby Kate » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:35 am

I recently got and read Moya's book "The Other Side of the Rainbow". I started reading it the evening I got it and couldn't put it down. I ended up 'skim' reading the entire book in one night! I have never read anything that quickly before in my life! I think Moya was very brave and courageous to write so openly and honestly. It was brilliantly written and most honorable in my opinion.

I had to laugh about the bit of Clannad's visit to Kamloops in 1979!

I will re-read it again 'more slowly' sometime soon.
Kate
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Does Moya Share Too Much?

Postby phlegsan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:35 pm

I just read "The Other Side of the Rainbow" and absolutely loved it. Below is the review I posted on Amazon.com:

I've been a fan of Maire and Clannad since I discovered their music from the Robin of Sherwood series in 1985. This book is so much more than an overview of the band's history. It is a deeply personal account of lessons learned in Maire's life and an inspirational story of how those experiences ultimately brought her to a strong and abiding faith in God. The breathtaking highs of the band's success and accomplishments are thrilling. Yet, the details of the difficult times in Maire's own personal faith journey highlight the fact that fame and other things of this world still leave us quite empty. Maire's candor in relaying the painful experiences that resulted from bad personal choices is admirable. The warmth and support of her family and their love for each other is evident throughout her story. I loved this book. I became a Christian in the early 1990s and I can relate to much of Maire's own experience. It's a wonderful account of how the grace of God covers our past and how He comes into our lives to restore and touch us in the broken places. This is a fantastic book.
Don
phlegsan

Re: Does Moya Share Too Much?

Postby Pete O'Hara » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:32 pm

It's a very honest book that takes us through Moya's journey through life.
I enjoyed it very much indeed.
I wonder if she would ever consider updating it since it was published in 2001?
"And I'm watching and wondering feeling something from long ago"
Pete O'Hara

Previous

Return to The Other Side of the Rainbow